URGENT-DONATIONS DESPERATELY NEEDED

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2012
      For everyone coming to the potluck tomorrow night(FALL POTLUCK, BAKE SALE, & VEGAN CHOCOLATE TASTING, Saturday October 20, 6:30pm, Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 61 East Rt. 70, Marlton NJ), please try to contribute to our bake sale to benefit Furrever Friends Rescue & Volunteers.

      This group is in URGENT need of donations. Please bring baked items for the sale or buy lots of goodies, so we can give this wonderful organization a generous check. See article below. Thank You.

      NJ - Woodbury-based cat rescue group Furrever Friends in need of donations, adoptive families

      By Rebecca Forand/South Jersey Times
      on October 16, 2012

      WOODBURY - An unusually warm winter paired with a bad economy has left Furrever Friends - a local volunteer organization dedicated to rescuing cats and kittens - in a tight financial situation this year.

      Furrever Friends Rescue & Volunteers, Inc. (FFRV), has volunteers who regularly pick up abandoned or feral cats and kittens, foster them in their own homes, have them spayed and neutered and then adopt them out to families in need of furry companions.

      But this summer the group has seen an overabundance of animals in need of help, with less and less people coming forward to adopt them, leaving foster homes with entire litters of kittens and more than $8,000 in veterinary bills to cover.

      "We had to double and triple foster homes with kittens because we just got bombarded with requests from people in the community," Jennifer Andersch, a volunteer with FFRV, said. "The shelters were so overwhelmed this year too."

      Each kitten costs the organization about $100 to spay or neuter and prepare for adoption. It then asks adoptive families for a $90 donation to recoup most of that cost.

      However, with kittens sitting in foster homes and at the Deptford PetSmart's adoption area, continuously awaiting adoption, that money is not being raised, and the group has had to stop taking in any new cats or kittens until it has paid its debt.

      "We've basically shut down any possibility of taking in any new cases and we're making our focus raising money," Andersch said. "We have to."

      The group credits the unseasonable warm weather the area received this winter for the kitten baby-boom, estimating that cats were able to extend their normal mating season and have one or two more litters than normal.

      And paired with the economy stunting adoptions and donations, its members are desperate for a solution.

      "We have all these kittens and the adoptions are just terrible," Andersch said.

      Furrever Friends is asking for those interested in donating or adopting to visit its website at www.furreverfriends .org, or send checks to FFRV, PO Box 141, Woodbury, NJ 08096.

      Contact Rebecca Forand at rforand@southjersey media.com.