Unexpected Wildlife Refuge

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2012
      VOLUNTEER DAY at UNEXPECTED WILDLIFE REFUGE
      Saturday October 13, 10am
      (Raindate Sunday, October 14)
      Newfield, NJ 08344, unexpectedwildliferefuge.org
      Help maintain trails. Lunch will be provided.
      To RSVP or for more info, please email veg@...
      Important notes:
      There is a probability of being exposed to ticks. Suggested precautions: wear light colored clothing and long pants tucked into socks, plus bug repellant.
      Also suggested: sturdy shoes (that may get wet) and work gloves
      The refuge has very limited parking, so everyone will meet on the Refuge property at 660 Piney Hollow Road at the big white garage (please do not block access to the garage). There will be balloons or a cone to alert people where to assemble. It is only about 3 minutes away. Then we will carpool back in a few cars to the actual work location.

      Read about this wonderful refuge:

      Unexpected Wildlife Refuge in Newfield, NJ

      Unexpected Wildlife Refuge began as the home of Cavit and Hope Buyukmihci, who dedicated their land to habitat preservation so that native wildlife and habitat could thrive.

      Today we are a nonprofit, tax-exempt organization, supported entirely by private donations. The Board of Directors continues to maintain it as an inviolate sanctuary for wildlife and supports the promotion of humane education.

      The 85 acres purchased by the Buyukmihcis in 1961 have grown to 767 acres of swamps, bogs, forests and lakes an extensive habitat for species indigenous to the Southern New Jersey Pinelands region. The Refuge is the home to seven active beaver lodges located within Main Lake Branch, which flows through the Refuge.

      Guided tours are provided to groups of five, and each year approximately 200 visitors hike the ten miles of trails that wind through the Refuge property. Educational and reference materials are available to visitors at the Nature Center.

      More than 100 bird houses provide nesting sites for bluebirds, chickadees, nuthatches, tufted titmice, crested flycatchers, tree swallows, prothonotary warblers, house wrens, wood ducks and screech owls. Most of the land is left undisturbed except for two acres of bluebird habitat that is mowed regularly. As many as six pairs of bluebirds nest in the Refuge, some of whom winter over, feeding on cedar berries deep in the swamps.

      Support Unexpected Wildlife Refuge
      The Unexpected Wildlife Refuge is supported entirely by private donations from individuals who have visited us or read about the refuge. The generosity of our supporters will allow us to continue to protect this special habitat and educate the public about its importance. Refuge expenses include local taxes, insurance premiums, truck repairs and insurance, and equipment maintenance. Please consider a small donation to our cause. You can contact UWR via mail or phone.

      We need your help!

      For several years now, donations to non-profits have been below the mark. People have to make choices between necessities, and sometimes the organizations that depend on the good graces of supporters are eliminated from the household budget. Unexpected Wildlife Refuge is no exception. And expenses keep going up.

      We need your support now more than ever. Please help us keep up with taxes, insurance, printing and utility costs. Any donation you can make above your July $20 Beaver Defender renewal fee will be placed into our general operating budget. We run this beautiful and unique 767 acre wildlife refuge on a minuscule annual budget of $30,000. Compare that to other non-profit organizations, and you will realize how extremely frugal and careful we are with your contributions. We do not have bloated administrative salaries, retirement packages or healthcare options. Every penny you send goes directly into keeping this place safe and sound for the animals who live here.

      Please make your tax deductible gift to Unexpected Wildlife Refuge and help us continue with our mission to preserve, protect and educate we cannot do it without your help.

      If you find sick or injured wildlife...
      Please go to this link to find a licensed rehabilitator to help you: www.state.nj. us/dep/fgw/ rehablst. htm.

      Unexpected Wildlife Refuge
      P.O. Box 765