- The American Vegan Society wants you to know about the following events, and invites you to attend.
1.September 10 2011, Franklin Township Community Day
2.September 18 2011, Vegetarian Society of South Jersey 25th Anniversary
3.September 24 2011 VegFest, Washington DC
1. Saturday September 10 2011(all day), Franklin Township's 19th Community Day at Janvier School, 1532 Pennsylvania Ave, Franklinville NJ 0832, in Gloucester County. Admission is free. Enjoy soccer, stage shows, crafts, displays, games, and fireworks. The Vegetarian Society of South Jersey's local group runs a vegan food booth (9am to 7pm) to meet the thousands who attend, and as a fund-raiser. Look for our green and yellow Vegetarian Neighbors banner. If you can join our team for part or all day, call Freya at 856-694-2887 or just show up. You'll have a great time! High school students may earn certificates for volunteer hours worked. (Rain date 9/11/11)
2. Sunday September 18 2011, 2pm to 7pm
Vegetarian Society of South Jersey Celebrates its 25th Anniversary with an International Vegan Food Festival, Speakers, and Vendors at Collingswood Community Center, 30 Collings Ave, Collingswood, NJ 08108 (near Patco train station)
Appetizer Reception, Door Prizes, Gift bags, Music, Gourmet Dinner.
Dr. Michael Greger (veganmd.org, nutritionfacts.org) is keynote speaker.
Nick Cooney (thehumaneleague.com), author Change of Heart will speak.
Cherron Perry-Thomas (dandelionbunch.com) presents raw food demo.
Book sales by American Vegan Society
Join the fun! Don't miss this party! Participation limited; reserve now.
$40 ($35 for VSSJ members) Get full details and register at www.vssj.com.
3. September 24 2011 11am to 6 pm DC VegFesta Free Outdoor Festival attended by thousands, organized by: Compassion Over Killing and the Vegetarian Society of D.C. at George Washington U, University Yard, 2000 block of H St., NW, Washington DC. Speakers, Cooking Demo,Exhibits. 20 Vegan Food Vendors: from Indian to Ethiopian to Pan-Asian to Middle Eastern to Soul Food, Baked Goods and Desserts, there's something for everyone. American Vegan Society has a prominent booth for selling books, and needs volunteers. Call Freya at 856-694-2887 ASAP if you can help. Event details at www.dcvegfest.com.
EAT WELL BE WELL MEETING/VIDEO PRESENTATION
Friday September 12, 7:30pm
Presentation: "Reversal of Diabetes"
by Dietician Brenda Davis
Location: Marc and Judi Slavin
604 Jonathan Lane, Marlton, NJ
RSVP to judislavin@... or jadams127@...
VSSJ POTLUCK PICNIC
Saturday September 13, 1pm
Long Bridge Park, Pavilion 3, Deacon Rd & Mt Holly Bypass (Rt 541), Hainesport, NJ 08036
Join VSSJ for our annual potluck picnic at this Burlington County park which is woodsy and has several miles of nice hiking trails. We'll have a covered pavilion, so this event is rain or shine.
*Please review the VSSJ potluck guidelines below.
Members: $1; non-members: $3, $8 family (to cover pavilion reservation fee).
Be green: get $1 off ($3 family) if you bring reusable place settings!
RSVP or for more info: thevssj@...
or 609-848-VEG1 (8341).
A FULL DAY SYMPOSIUM TO PROMOTE WELLNESS & PREVENT DISEASE
Sunday September 14, 8:00-8:45am Registration,
Fox EDU Center, 7 Carnegie Plaza
Cherry Hill, NJ 08003
Featuring nationally acclaimed and recognized authorities sharing cutting-edge insight to keep you healthy, vital and vibrant.
Speakers: Suzanne Somers, Dr. Mark Hyman, T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Allan Magaziner, Dr. Scott Greenberg, and Dr. Michael Smith
VSSJ will be tabling at this event.
See http://wellness2014.com for details and to register.
VSSJ DINNER at
WILDFLOWER EARTHLY VEGAN FARE
Friday September 19, 7pm
501 N High St, Village on High, Millville, NJ 08332, http://wildflowervegan.com
Join VSSJ for a trip to this all-vegan restaurant in Millville's Glasstown Arts District on Millville's Third Friday - art exhibitions, live music, theatre, dining, and shopping.
RSVP by 9/17 to thevssj@... or 609-848-VEG1 (8341).
VEGETARIAN SUPPORT GROUP
Wednesday September 24, 6pm
ShopRite of Washington Twp.
382 Egg Harbor Rd, Sewell, NJ 08080
Have you ever thought about going towards a vegetarian diet? Come to learn about the benefits of eating less animal products, meet long time vegetarians, and try delicious food. No animals harmed!
VSSJ will be participating in this event.
For more info: 856-405-5425 or Samantha.O'Toole@...
VSSJ BUSINESS MEETING
Friday September 26, 6:30pm, location TBD
Discussion of future events, opportunities to get involved, and more. Tell us what you want to see from the group. Open to all members.
To RSVP or for more info, please contact thevssj@... or Janet at 856-596-3269.
(Tentative) VSSJ/CJVG EARLY DINNER
at KAYA'S KITCHEN
Saturday September 27, 4pm
1000 Main St, Belmar NJ 07719 kayaskitchenbelmar.com
Join VSSJ and the Central Jersey Vegetarian Group (CJVG) for our annual fall trip to this shore favorite - an all-vegan restaurant with eclectic cuisine.
RSVP (required) by 9/25 to VSSJ: thevssj@... or 609-848-VEG1 (8341), or to CJVG: 908-281-6388
VEGAN POTLUCK/FREE SCREENING OF BETHANY'S STORY followed by a Q&A with film Producer and Certified Holistic Health Counselor
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 pm
Monmouth University in *Wilson Hall Auditorium
400 Cedar Ave, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764
(*please note this special room location that is different from the usual room location). Parking is free and approved for Lot 11.
Please bring a Vegan dish to share with ingredient list and serving utensils, if you would like to participate. Also bring your own plates and utensils to help reduce waste and conserve resources.
Film trailer: http://vimeo.com/54347157
Other Goodies: At the event, there will be a raffle to potentially win a Vitamix blender! Plus, there will be copies of the film available for purchase.
*For all VSSJ Potlucks:
Each individual in your party (with the exception of children under 12) brings a vegetarian* dish to share that will feed at least 6 people (vegan** dishes preferred so that all types of vegetarians may enjoy the food), along with the recipe or a list of ingredients. Because of past issues with people not having enough to eat, please bring at least as much as your family is going to eat. VSSJ provides beverages, so please provide a food contribution. To promote recycling, VSSJ encourages you to bring your own plate, cup, and utensils if possible (we will have extra place settings). Due to safety issues, children under 12 must be under parental supervision at all times. Please make sure to check in at the door when you arrive.
* Vegetarian = No Meat, Fish, or Gelatin.
** Vegan = No Meat, Fish, Dairy, Eggs, Gelatin, or Honey.
Not sure what to bring? Easy options include: garden salad, fruit salad, hummus with chips or crudités. For a list of recipe sites, visit http://recipes.njveg.com. Write us at thevssj@... for more suggestions.