Re: [VanDeGraaffGenerator] Re: Question for Richard...

  • Richard R. Linder
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
      The stretch is minimal so it might be a problem. But, because of that, the opposite sides of the belt cannot pull in toward each other and touch. My more stretchy belts attracted each other due to opposite charge on the up and down side.  This really screwed up the charge transfer.

      Because of this minimal stretch characteristic the roller crowns have to be much less pronounced than with stretchy stuff because it won't wrap around a severe curve. In spite of all this, if you're going to build another VDG I would include belt tension adjustment and even roller camber adjustment so you can have the freedom of a wide choice of belt materials.

      Take a look at my pictures of the roller assemblies and you can see how I implemented roller adjustment.

      Dick