The ultimate VDG

  • BoB
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2005
      Hi
      Ive posted a picture of a 3D model I made of what
      could be the "ultimate" Van De Graaff.
      I spent far too much time on this, it was
      only supposed to be a quick 3D block drawing of
      what was in my head. But turned out to be a full
      texture render. I even modelled each ball bearing
      in the ball races. I was about to add Layden jars
      but maybe that can be for the mark 2.
      I wont be building it, just a bit of fun.
      Let me know what you think
      http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trilums/supervdg.jpg

      BoB
    • Richard R. Linder
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2005
        Bob:

        This looks like a Van De Teslahurst generator!

        I'll take one 16 x 20 for my living room and a few wallet size for my friends :-)

        Great Job!!

        Dick

      • argona369
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2005
          cool!
          but your Wimshurst part will limit voltage due to flashover.

          from what I know, a Wimshurst is a much more powerful "current
          generator" ,100,000 volts and up
          a VDG is much lower in current but due to its structure , is a much
          higher voltage generator, 500,000 volts and up.

          there both cool, but I like the current from the Wimshurst, and
          simple construction (except for the disks)

          Cliff,

          --- In VanDeGraaffGenerator@yahoogroups.com, "BoB" <bob@t...> wrote:

          > Hi
          > Ive posted a picture of a 3D model I made of what
          > could be the "ultimate" Van De Graaff.
          > I spent far too much time on this, it was
          > only supposed to be a quick 3D block drawing of
          > what was in my head. But turned out to be a full
          > texture render. I even modelled each ball bearing
          > in the ball races. I was about to add Layden jars
          > but maybe that can be for the mark 2.
          > I wont be building it, just a bit of fun.
          > Let me know what you think
          > http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trilums/supervdg.jpg
          >
          > BoB
        • argona369