Big ideas request

  • televisionresearcher
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 2004
      Hello all,

      I have joined this group in the hope that someone may be able to help me with some
      research I am working on for an American TV programme.

      We are producing a documentary about the effects of electricity on the human body. I have
      been tasked to find and/or create some visually spectacular experiments using a Van de
      Graaf generator - something that goes beyond hair raising and would look really great on
      TV. Essentially experiments that the wider audience, beyond enthusiasts such as
      yourselves, haven't seen before.

      I have tested the stack of metal plates experiment, and the fluorescent light bulb
      experients, and they look really good when the size/power of the VDG is increased (we've
      made one that's about 7ft tall), but does anyone have any suggestions for other
      experiments that equal or better these?

      If so I would REALLY like to hear from you.

      Many thanks,

      Alex
    • Richard R. Linder
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 20, 2004
        Alex:

        I am a retired EE and have built 2 VDGs, one "medium" (18" sphere) and one "large" (30" sphere) yet to be tested @ high voltage.

        For the last few years I have toured my town's (Burlington, MA) schools as part of a static electricity show presented by the  Burlington Science Center.  One experiment we do is to show that like charges repel. Fill a pie plate with styrofoam peanuts, place the plate on top of the VDG and start the motor. You will produce a huge shower of peanuts.

        Another one: take a flat piece of thin aluminum about 2" wide and 24"-30" long. Bend the ends of the aluminum so that you have a sharp points at 90 degrees to the  long side of the strip. The 2 points should be facing in opposite directions. Find the balance point and put a dimple there so it will balance on a nail held vertically.  Take a 6 penny nail and sharpen the point, press it through a piece of cardboard and tape it to the top of the VDG.  Balance the aluminum "propellor" on the nail.

        Electrons pouring out of the two pointed ends will cause the prop to spin quite fast. If the VDG has enough poop you can attach some light streamers to the ends.

        Dick Linder

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 20, 2004
          The "bubble effect" which demonstrates attraction & repulsion would
          probably be a good one for tv. Just start up a good bubble generator
          and the bubbles will zoom toward the VDG, just before they touch it
          they will suddenly reverse course & fly away.

          --- In VanDeGraaffGenerator@yahoogroups.com, "televisionresearcher"