VDG BELTS

  • Dick Linder
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi List:

      Just an update on VDG #2 under design/construction. I am using the
      top and bottom roller assemblies connected by a short piece of 8" pvc
      pipe as a test jig for experimental belts. The top roller is PVC and
      the bottom is nylon.

      Using a short version of the belt keeps the cost down when
      experimenting with different materials.

      So far the best material I have tried is nylon impregnated with
      neoprene. It is not stretchy so does not exhibit the wild gyrations
      typical of a charged stretchy belt. On the other hand it does not
      wrap around the crown of my rollers very well and therefore is kind
      of unsteady in the tracking department. I am going to decrease the
      pitch of the crown to better suit this material and see if the
      tracking improves.

      Last but not least, a 5" wide belt @ about 60 mph, 70 deg F., 42%
      R.H. was delivering 75-100 uA.

      BTW, to cut this stuff into 6" wide strips, I rolled it up very
      tightly on a piece of 2" PVC pipe, spiral wrapped it with Scotch
      Electrical tape and cut the roll into 6" pieces using my table saw.
      Worked like a charm.

      Best wishes to all.

      Dick