Re: My VDG won't work, please help

  • Saber
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2013
      Finally I got some sparks, 1 inch sparks out of a small coca cola bottle vdg, finally, I almost forgot my real goal with the whole van de graaf generator now that i was too much occupied making the thing works in the first place..

      I dont know why or how it worked, I made the similar bottle vdg earlier but none worked and btw this one that worked was hell of greasy and bad but yet worked, that showed that my anticipation is correct, its not the dirt, its not the materials.. its something else..hmm no its not humidity since any friction here gives static elec. it seems there is something very small that either makes it work or not.. yes one single thing.. what is it???
      --- In VanDeGraaffGenerator@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Linder" <linder@...> wrote:

      > Hello Saber and the rest of the gang. I have been absent from the group for
      > a long time due to age related medical issues but have read a lot of your
      > correspondence and frustrations. I have two groups of photos on the VDG
      > website. My purpose in posting these is obviously to help others in
      > designing their generators therefore there are many photos showing the
      > details of the various assemblies that went into the design of both of my
      > VDGs.
      >

      > By reading your posts it would seem to me that a close inspection of my
      > photos would answer a lot of questions that have been asked by you and
      > others. The pictures are in two groups (DICK's VDG) and are not close to
      > each other so search around to find both groups.
      >

      > I hope these pictures might help resolve some of your issues.
      >

      > Dick Linder

    • Antonio
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2013
        Now that you have something that works you can use it to test the larger machine. To see if the problem is insulation connect the working machine to the terminal of the other and see if it charges it.
        The most usual problems with VDGs are humidity (worse) or dirt in the belt and support, excessive leakage in the belt and support due to the materials, or just belt and roller materials that don't develop enough charge by rolling friction.

        Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz