bowl joining - should I

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2012
      Hi, finally getting around to putting together the VDG for my daughter. I checked out the IKEA bowls and they were super cheap ($5 for 12" diam) so I bought 3 figuring I would mess up at least one of them.
      Now for my question, should I attempt to join (silver solder) them or just align them well and use tape control the sharp edges? Anybody experience both and have thoughts on what is good enough? I soldered some of the 1" cups and they came out pretty good! As they say, it is all in the gap ;). Also, I am about to solder in a copper tube for the return involute in the next day or two that Dick L has championed. It looks like it will work pretty well. Anybody else try it?

      Finally, do I need to polish the final sphere to a > 1200 grit polish? They come grained on the outside @ maybe 100 grit and unfortunately super mirror polished on the inside. I keep hearing that single dust or metal slivers kills the performance due to sharp discharge drains. I have seen many spun Al lids that had a lot of spinning marks and they seemed to work ok. Any experience here?

      Thanks for any commments,
      Tommyb
    • DOUG
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2012

        HI T ommy; You shouldn’t have to polish the bowls, I did not and my IKEA VDG’s work fine! I built 2 VDG’s with IKEA bowls and to locate the 2 together I welded 4 1” pins, equally spaced, on the inside rim of one bowl, then used good electrical tape to hold them firm. Make sure your welder knows what he is about if you use this method, as it is easy to burn through the thin stainless steel. If you want pictures let me know.

        Drj11642.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 17, 2012
          I'd like to see the pictures, maybe post them in the files section. I've seen those bowls at Ikea, they look perfect for a VDG.

          -d