RE: [VanDeGraaffGenerator] Re: Convenient charge collector

  • Richard Linder
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2011

      Hi Everyone:  There are lots of choices out there that might serve as a collector but before re-inventing the wheel it might be good to keep a few things in mind, and believe me, I’ve probably made more than my share of mistakes. It’s good to experiment, don’t get me wrong. Take a look at picture 0024 (Dick’s VDG) and see what I used for a final collector design. Remember what Van DeGraaff used in his generators??  Phonograph needles, like the ones used in acoustical phonographs.

       After lots of experimenting I found that sewing needles performed the best. I used perforated copper clad PC board as a support and to establish the needle spacing. Most sewing needles are stainless steel and may not work with rosin core solder. I used acid core which worked fine and scrubbed the final assembly with a tooth brush, water and baking soda to neutralize the flux.

      When you design the collector be sure that the first and last needle is located well within the edges of the belt. You don’t want to be spraying electrons on the roller, it will degrade the efficiency of the VDG.

      Dick

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2011
        Hello:

        I use aluminum foil cut with zig-zag scissors:
        http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/vdgext2.jpg
        Very safe. Doesn't damage the belt if due to some disadjustment touches the belt.

        Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
      • turner_chris1
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 10, 2011
          I just use multi strand wire speadout near the belt - again if it touches then it doesnt hurt the belt

          --- In VanDeGraaffGenerator@yahoogroups.com, "Antonio" <acmdq@...> wrote:

          > Hello:
          >
          > I use aluminum foil cut with zig-zag scissors:
          > http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/vdgext2.jpg
          > Very safe. Doesn't damage the belt if due to some disadjustment touches the belt.
          >
          > Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

        • Mark 42
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 26, 2011
            Pinking Shears - I hadn't thought of that.

            You could even cut twice to get twice as many points
            (by offsetting the second cut by 1/2 tooth)

            I looked up pinking shears:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinking_shears

            And it called the cuts "Saw Toothed".
            I have some old sawzall blades somewhere in my shop.

            Now that we finished moving out of our previous house
            and it's rented out, I might have time to start fabricating
            the parts for a Van De Graff generator.