Convenient charge collector

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2011
      Hello everyone,

      I don't know if it's a common knowlege or not, but I found 40 pin break away connectors to be very effective charge collecting brush. They are spikey, long enough for most roller sizes, easy to mount and keep their shape stable. They come in straight and right angle forms.
      Like this one
      http://www.emartee.com/product/41519/2.54mm%20Break%20Away%20Male%20Headers%20%2040Pins#

      I used more expensive one with nice looking round pins (swiss?). But regular ones work just as well.

      Regards,
      Dennis.
    • Mark 42
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28, 2011
        How about those metal combs designed to get lice out of kids' hair?

        Or the hair picks for the old "Afro" hair style (I dodn't
        know what the PC name of that hairstyle is now)

        Or something in between.

        That way you wouldn't have to tie together all of the teeth.
        But those Card Connectors do look like a good solution.

        BTW, how far from the belt should the combs be?
        (I think "Brushes" is a misnomer - I thought they were in contact
        with the belt until I found out they don't actually brush the belt)

        I haven't started a VDG yet - I'm gathering parts & info.

        --- In VanDeGraaffGenerator@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <sakva@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > I don't know if it's a common knowlege or not, but I found 40 pin break away connectors to be very effective charge collecting brush. They are spikey, long enough for most roller sizes, easy to mount and keep their shape stable. They come in straight and right angle forms.
        > Like this one
        > http://www.emartee.com/product/41519/2.54mm%20Break%20Away%20Male%20Headers%20%2040Pins#
        >
        > I used more expensive one with nice looking round pins (swiss?). But regular ones work just as well.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Dennis.

      • Richard Linder
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2011

          Hi Everyone:  There are lots of choices out there that might serve as a collector but before re-inventing the wheel it might be good to keep a few things in mind, and believe me, I’ve probably made more than my share of mistakes. It’s good to experiment, don’t get me wrong. Take a look at picture 0024 (Dick’s VDG) and see what I used for a final collector design. Remember what Van DeGraaff used in his generators??  Phonograph needles, like the ones used in acoustical phonographs.

           After lots of experimenting I found that sewing needles performed the best. I used perforated copper clad PC board as a support and to establish the needle spacing. Most sewing needles are stainless steel and may not work with rosin core solder. I used acid core which worked fine and scrubbed the final assembly with a tooth brush, water and baking soda to neutralize the flux.

          When you design the collector be sure that the first and last needle is located well within the edges of the belt. You don’t want to be spraying electrons on the roller, it will degrade the efficiency of the VDG.

          Dick

          href="http://www.emartee.com/product/41519/2.54mm%20Break%20Away%20Male%20Headers%20%2040Pins">http://www.emartee.com/product/41519/2.54mm%20Break%20Away%20Male%20Headers%20%2040Pins#

          > I used more expensive one with nice looking round pins (swiss?). But
          regular ones work just as well.

          > Regards,
          > Dennis.

        • Antonio
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2011
            Hello:

            I use aluminum foil cut with zig-zag scissors:
            http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/vdgext2.jpg
            Very safe. Doesn't damage the belt if due to some disadjustment touches the belt.

            Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
          • turner_chris1
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 10, 2011
              I just use multi strand wire speadout near the belt - again if it touches then it doesnt hurt the belt

              --- In VanDeGraaffGenerator@yahoogroups.com, "Antonio" <acmdq@...> wrote:

              > Hello:
              >
              > I use aluminum foil cut with zig-zag scissors:
              > http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/vdgext2.jpg
              > Very safe. Doesn't damage the belt if due to some disadjustment touches the belt.
              >
              > Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

            • Mark 42
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 26, 2011
                Pinking Shears - I hadn't thought of that.

                You could even cut twice to get twice as many points
                (by offsetting the second cut by 1/2 tooth)

                I looked up pinking shears:
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinking_shears

                And it called the cuts "Saw Toothed".
                I have some old sawzall blades somewhere in my shop.

                Now that we finished moving out of our previous house
                and it's rented out, I might have time to start fabricating
                the parts for a Van De Graff generator.