shake-sphere machine - how does it work?

  • turner_chris1
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5 5:24 AM

      The shake-sphere device shown in AD Moores book, but not explained, intrigues me? How does it work?

      I have seen the explanation by http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/shakesphere.gif

      but I not sure how it works.

      In stage one the central conductor is shown as +Q, but it is touching the ball which is -Q.   I assume the electrons move into the left hand ball attracted by the +ve inductor ring, the ball retains them when the ball rolls away leaving the central conductor +ve?

      In stage two the right hand ball picks up this charge which is attracted by the -ve inductor ring, and so on doubling each time.

      is this correct?

      Thanks for any help

      Chris

    • GlenR
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 12 8:57 PM
        I believe you are correct. The end caps are charge collectors and each time the ball gives up it's charge, the charge on the inductor ring gets stronger, which induces a stronger separation of charge on the center block. This looks like the same principle as the Kelvin waterdrop generator.

        A.D Moores books are fantastic. I haven't read them in years but I know the last time I read them I was hooked.