VDG belts

  • aldotkdotloid@btopenworld.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 16, 2011
      i'm a bit of a newbie to all of this, so do i understand it correctly that.
      if i make one roller from the most positive material possible (nylon) and the other from the most negative possible (teflon) then the belt should be made from a material that is a close as possible to the the middle of the triboelectric series ?
    • Elmer Wiersma
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17, 2011
        Well some have used vinyl impregnated nylon (me and Dick) or polyester fabric which has very little if any stretch and that seams to work very well, I also heard of theraband but it is much more stretchy and remember that if you use nylon be sure to take nylon 6.6 or 66 (same thing just different name) because nylon 6 (standard nylon) does not work. Be also sure that you do not use any bright colors in your belt because does may conduct electricity because of the dye.

        Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2011 12:13 PM
        Subject: [VanDeGraaffGenerator] VDG belts

        i'm a bit of a newbie to all of this, so do i understand it correctly that.
        if i make one roller from the most positive material possible (nylon) and the other from the most negative possible (teflon) then the belt should be made from a material that is a close as possible to the the middle of the triboelectric series ?

      • alan hallock
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 17, 2011
          My top roller is teflon the bottom roller acrylic covered in felt. The belt is a 3 inch wide latex belt that was cut from a sheet of latex and glued together.

          Alan

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 17, 2011
            My VDGs use Teflon and Nylon rollers, with Theraband belts. The combination appears to work well. But Nylon is not a so good insulator, and the roller does not appear to become electrized by friction with the belt. The Nylon rollers are mounted insulated, as conductive rollers would be. A machine with a Teflon roller below generates positive charge at the terminal.

            Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
          • Richard Linder
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 17, 2011

              Yes, Dick is still alive and demonstrating the large VDG in the school system’s science department. Maybe soon to retire from the demo activity because at 76 I am having trouble carting that 7 ft monster from school to school over the ice and snow. I am planning to donate the VDG to the town’s science department.

              Risking being repetitious, I have a box full of rollers and belt material that provide various degrees of performance but I am convinced that the combination of nylon 66 at the bottom and teflon at the top, along with a  vinyl impregnated nylon belt is, so far, the best. I used the charging current measured between the upper and lower charge collector “combs” as the criteria for optimizing the choice of materials. This combination reliably provides 100uA of charging current for my large VDG. Another virtue of the belt material is that it does not stretch very much. If you have slightly crowned rollers and they are adjustable as to tilt and belt tension, you will find that the system tracks very well. Two other comments about the system….the belt has to be broken in. That is to say the belt will gradually assume a shape that approximates the crown of the rollers resulting in excellent tracking.  The material is also very easily “welded” with solvent cement which yields a very flexible angled splice.

              Slightly off topic….Leyden Buckets.  I fabricated a Leyden Bucket from a 5 gallon plastic bucket. When charged by the VDG it will emit a 4-6 inch spark to a ground wand with a noise that sounds like a large caliber handgun. Well, during a routine demo of the VDG the bucket was at the rear for the stage about 25 feet away from the VDG. When I went to get the bucket, as usual,  I first touched the terminal with a ground wand. To my surprise the bucket was fully charged. Apparently the VDG running during the first part of the demo  charged the bucket from 25 feet away.  If anyone decides to build something like that you should attach a small metal chain to the outside foil of the bucket and let it hang over the edge and into the inside of the bucket. This will keep it short circuited and safe to handle.

              Dick Linder

              Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2011 12:13 PM