Re: Bonetti Machine

  • acmqsoueu
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2009
      --- In VanDeGraaffGenerator@yahoogroups.com, "sesykes71" <ssykes@...> wrote:

      > In an attempt to improve our Bonetti (sectorless) Machine, we have added Leyden Jars. We have started with two 12 cup French press coffee carafes. They are Pyrex and straight walled. I used copper tape to make the capacitor and the they measure 400 pf each. The problem is that when the machine fires the arc, it loses the excitation. We have tried reducing the capacity to around 200 pf each but still have the problem.
      >
      > We also see corona from the brush tip on the negative side when the arc gap is too wide to arc over. Does mean that the brushes are not efficient enough to transfer all the energy to the arc gap. Could this also explain when the excitation is lost when using Leyden Jars?

      Sectorless machines are very sensitive to the humidity in the air.
      Make it sure that the disks are clean and dry. Use a hair drier to
      heat them a bit before operation.
      Try to increase the distance between the charge collectors and the
      surface of the disks. This kind of machine works better with blades
      at the charge collectors instead of points. Try also to increase the
      separation of the disks.
      Corona in the negative terminal just indicates that it is too far
      from the positive terminal for the formation of a spark at that
      voltage level. The terminal ball may be too small. Try to use a larger
      ball at the negative terminal, or use combinations of two balls, one
      large and one small, at both terminals. Then incline the positive
      terminal in the direction of the negative, and you will obtain the
      longest sparks that the machine can generate.

      Antonio C. M. de Queiroz