Humid Weather

  • Todd Atwood
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2008
      Hi All,

      Well the humid season has arrived, and it doesn't seem worth it to run
      any of my devices.

      Well if any of you were wondering, the demonstration I was supposed to
      do for my son's school class was canceled. Unfortunately, the
      humidity was 87% on the day I was to appear, I had contacted his
      teacher a few days before because the forecast was for high humidity.
      I am hoping to do another in the late fall or early winter. But I
      wanted to thank everyone for there advice and suggestions.

      I found a site that specializes in science supplies, they have VDGs,
      Wimshurst Machines, Gold leaf electroscopes and other electrostatic
      demo equipment. Of course the dissectible Leyden Jar is out of stock!
      The URL is: http://www.sci-supply.com/index.asp

      I am ordering a Wimshurst Machine from them for 39.95 and will let you
      all know how they are to deal with and how good the products are.

      I have finished an electrostatic motor and will upload a pic or two
      soon. Unless the humidity drops I won't be able to show a pic of it
      operating.

      Well I guess that is all for now. Hope everyone is having a good
      summer (unless it is winter where you are).

      Todd
    • Trevor Hannam
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2008

        Hi Todd

        It has been a while since I have said anything – I feel sorry for people who live in the tropics as you have to pack up your gear for nearly 6 months, we do here in Aus anyway. Mate thanks for sharing that link with the specials on the electrostatic machines. That is one hell of a cheap price for the Wimshurst Machine. Pity the freight to get it to Aus is s expensive. Ah! Never mind I am still trying top make mine.

        Good site Todd Thanks

        Trev

[...]

        Checked by AVG.

        Checked by AVG.

      • Todd Atwood
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2008
          Hi Trev,
          I live in Massachusetts, USA on the coast and while far from tropical
          we do get our share of moisture so I can sympathize.

          I forgot to mention that the site also has an ebay store and some of
          the items can be bid on to save a few dollars, but I don't think they
          have an Aus branch, but you may want to check out ebay for any vendors
          in your part of the world.

          I had been working on a sectorless wimshurst,also called a bonnetti
          machine, but without the proper equipment it is a little tough to make
          the hubs so that the disk spin parallel to one another.

          Well have fun and be safe

          Todd

          --- In VanDeGraaffGenerator@yahoogroups.com, "Trevor Hannam"
          <trev.kay@...> wrote:

          > Hi Todd
          >
          > It has been a while since I have said anything – I feel sorry for
          people who
          > live in the tropics as you have to pack up your gear for nearly 6
          months, we
          > do here in Aus anyway. Mate thanks for sharing that link with the
          specials
          > on the electrostatic machines. That is one hell of a cheap price for the
          > Wimshurst Machine. Pity the freight to get it to Aus is s expensive. Ah!
          > Never mind I am still trying top make mine.
          >

          > Good site Todd Thanks
          >
          > Trev

          5/07/2008
          > 10:15 AM

          > Checked by AVG.
          5/07/2008
          > 10:15 AM

        • Trevor Hannam
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2008

            Thanks Todd

            I have the Perspex disc now for a year and haven’t done anything with them. Soon now I guess, but they are 6mm thick 13” Diameter. I think maybe too thick and I don’t know how many people on the forum have actually made these. I hope a lot woill follow as they do make a good show piece and do take up a lot less room.

            I am going to sell or give away my large one and only keep what I call the desk top model. More fun and the kids love getting bit by the 2 to 3” sparks. Keep in touch

            href="http://www.sci-supply.com/index.asp">http://www.sci-supply.com/index.asp

            > I am ordering a Wimshurst Machine from them for 39.95 and will let you
            > all know how they are to deal with and how good the products are.
            >
            > I have finished an electrostatic motor and will upload a pic or two
            > soon. Unless the humidity drops I won't be able to show a pic of it
            > operating.
            >
            > Well I guess that is all for now. Hope everyone is having a good
            > summer (unless it is winter where you are).
            >
            > Todd

            > Checked by AVG.
            5/07/2008
            > 10:15 AM

            > Checked by AVG.
            5/07/2008
            > 10:15 AM

            Checked by AVG.

            Checked by AVG.

          • Philip
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008
              Hi Todd

              That's the place I got my Wimshurst Generator from. In fact I got
              one last year, and picked up another this year since as I thought the
              price was cheaper than I could make one. I'd like to convert one to
              be powered rather than hand cranked.

              I had could luck with both of mine. The only problem is occasionally
              it will shed a foil leaf or two - I guess the glue holding them onto
              the disk isn't aggressive enough. I simply reglued them on with
              contact cement.

              I live in Rhode Island, near the bay, and its just been a fog bank
              here over the last few days.

              Phil

              --- In VanDeGraaffGenerator@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Atwood"
              <toddjwood@...> wrote:

              > Hi All,
              >
              > Well the humid season has arrived, and it doesn't seem worth it to
              run
              > any of my devices.
              >
              > Well if any of you were wondering, the demonstration I was supposed
              > do for my son's school class was canceled. Unfortunately, the
              > humidity was 87% on the day I was to appear, I had contacted his
              > teacher a few days before because the forecast was for high
              humidity.
              > I am hoping to do another in the late fall or early winter. But I
              > wanted to thank everyone for there advice and suggestions.
              >
              > I found a site that specializes in science supplies, they have VDGs,
              > Wimshurst Machines, Gold leaf electroscopes and other electrostatic
              > demo equipment. Of course the dissectible Leyden Jar is out of
              stock!
              > The URL is: http://www.sci-supply.com/index.asp
              >
              > I am ordering a Wimshurst Machine from them for 39.95 and will let
              you
              > all know how they are to deal with and how good the products are.
              >
              > I have finished an electrostatic motor and will upload a pic or two
              > soon. Unless the humidity drops I won't be able to show a pic of it
              > operating.
              >
              > Well I guess that is all for now. Hope everyone is having a good
              > summer (unless it is winter where you are).
              >
              > Todd

            • Todd Atwood
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008
                Hi Phil,
                It would be nice if we could use this humidity the way nature does, to
                make electricity. But I think my landlord would frown on
                thunderclouds in my apartment and I know for certain that my wife
                would. I'd happily settle for some real thunderstorms if it would
                clear the air.

                Thanks for the info on the Wimshurst, I am always a little
                apprehensive when I order online and its good to know someone else on
                the forum has had success with this company.

                Todd