RE: [VanDeGraaffGenerator] Re: How fast is my belt?

  • Trevor Hannam
    Message 1 of 27 , May 1, 2008

      Hi Phil

      At the moment I have two.

      One is 55 long by 16mm diameter and the other is 100mm long by 55 diameter. I am not sure whether you can class ceramics as glass, but in a way I suppose they are.

      Trev

      Message 2 of 27 , May 3, 2008
        Tell me about going crazy understanding the problems.

        I'm trying to mathematically model a VDG for a program I'm working on.

        It ain't easy.

        - Derrik

        <trev.kay@.. .> wrote:

        > Hi Phil
        >

        > Man I sent that message a long time back. Seem to take a long time
        to get to
        > the forum. Funny how some things just go and others seem to gwet
        lost in the
        > system. Might have to check my clock in case it is wrong on the
        computer.
        > Could be 80 days ahead for all I know.
        >
        > Glad you are trying something different. You could check on my site
        on
        > Trevor's VDG in the forums Photos as I have a detail photos of my
        top roller
        > and how to adjust it. Also Richard has a food idea with his also.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Trev

        - Derrik

        Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE

        Seven deadly sins, Seven ways to win, Seven holy paths to hell, And your trip begins;
        Seven downward slopes, Seven bloodied hopes, Seven are your burning fires;
        Seven your desires...
        - Iron Maiden,  "Moon Child"

      • Trevor Hannam
        Message 3 of 27 , May 4, 2008

          Hi Derrick – Good on ya Mate, but don’t ask me I have no idea on how you can model such a thing. With all the variables I would have thought ny impossible.

          I hope you get it worked out as there will be a lot of interested people including myself on your doorstep.

          Chow Derrick

          Trev

          <trev.kay@...> wrote:

          > Hi Phil
          >

          > Man I sent that message a long time back. Seem to take a long time
          to get to
          > the forum. Funny how some things just go and others seem to gwet
          lost in the
          > system. Might have to check my clock in case it is wrong on the
          computer.
          > Could be 80 days ahead for all I know.
          >
          > Glad you are trying something different. You could check on my site
          on
          > Trevor's VDG in the forums Photos as I have a detail photos of my
          top roller
          > and how to adjust it. Also Richard has a food idea with his also.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Trev

          - Derrik

          Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE

          Seven deadly sins, Seven ways to win, Seven holy paths to hell, And your trip begins;
          Seven downward slopes, Seven bloodied hopes, Seven are your burning fires;
          Seven your desires...

                          - Iron Maiden,  "Moon Child"

          Checked by AVG.

          Checked by AVG.

        • Richard Linder
          Message 4 of 27 , May 4, 2008

            I must say that I admire you young guys with all the enthusiasm and intellectual horsepower to tackle these theoretical design challenges.

            I do admit, however, that at my age I have the guilt free option to kind of side step the stuff that causes me to have brain cramps and just screw around with the fine art of seat of the pants gut feel and prototype construction.

            Once the mathematical model is complete, maybe I’ll be able to figure out how close I came to optimum design.

            Regards,

            Dick

            <trev.kay@.. .> wrote:

            > Hi Phil
            >

            > Man I sent that message a long time back. Seem to take a long time
            class=apple-converted-space>

            Message 5 of 27 , May 4, 2008

              Richard you and me both

              Trev

              <trev.kay@...> wrote:

              > Hi Phil
              >

              > Man I sent that message a long time back. Seem to take a long time
              class=apple-converted-space>
              to get to
              > the forum. Funny how some things just go and others seem to gwet
              class=apple-converted-space>
              lost in the
              > system. Might have to check my clock in case it is wrong on the
              class=apple-converted-space>
              computer.
              > Could be 80 days ahead for all I know.
              >
              > Glad you are trying something different. You could check on my site
              class=apple-converted-space>
              on
              > Trevor's VDG in the forums Photos as I have a detail photos of my
              class=apple-converted-space>
              top roller
              > and how to adjust it. Also Richard has a food idea with his also.
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Trev

              - Derrik

              Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE

              Seven deadly sins, Seven ways to win, Seven holy paths to hell, And your trip begins;
              Seven downward slopes, Seven bloodied hopes, Seven are your burning fires;
              Seven your desires...

                              - Iron Maiden,  "Moon Child"

              Checked by AVG.

              Checked by AVG.

            • jacobsmach
              Message 6 of 27 , May 13, 2008
                Philip <pan00@...> wrote: <SNIP>

                > I did happen to be looking in a catalog from 'All Electronics' last
                > night and saw a digital laser tachometer for around $50. Probably
                > more than you wanted to spend, but I thought I'd mention it. I was
                > there looking at various motors, saw that.

                Phil and others:
                I found the exact same item on eBay for US$23.80, including shipment
                from Hong Kong to my US address. There were no further charges upon
                delivery. A small piece of reflective tape (enough for many tests
                supplied) must be attached to the revolving piece to be measured.
                Don Jacobs
              • Philip
                Message 7 of 27 , May 13, 2008
                  --- In VanDeGraaffGenerator@yahoogroups.com, "jacobsmach" <hihoag@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Philip <pan00@> wrote: <SNIP>
                  > >
                  > > I did happen to be looking in a catalog from 'All Electronics' last
                  > > night and saw a digital laser tachometer for around $50. Probably
                  > > more than you wanted to spend, but I thought I'd mention it. I was
                  > > there looking at various motors, saw that.
                  > >

                  > Phil and others:
                  > I found the exact same item on eBay for US$23.80, including shipment
                  > from Hong Kong to my US address. There were no further charges upon
                  > delivery. A small piece of reflective tape (enough for many tests
                  > supplied) must be attached to the revolving piece to be measured.
                  > Don Jacobs

                  That cheap enough for me to think about getting one - sounds like a
                  good piece of equipment to have. I'm interested to hear how you like
                  it after using it for a bit - I'm still working thru the easiest way
                  for me to rig up a motor/roller/belt assembly.

                  Phil
                • jacobsmach
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 13, 2008
                    > > Philip <pan00@> wrote: <SNIP>
                    > > >
                    > > > I did happen to be looking in a catalog from 'All Electronics'
                    > > > last night and saw a digital laser tachometer for around $50.
                    > > > Probably more than you wanted to spend, but I thought I'd
                    > > > mention it. I was there looking at various motors, saw that.
                    > > >

                    > > Phil and others:
                    > > I found the exact same item on eBay for US$23.80, including
                    > > shipment from Hong Kong to my US address. There were no
                    > > further charges upon delivery. A small piece of reflective
                    > > tape (enough for many tests supplied) must be attached to the
                    > > revolving piece to be measured.
                    > > Don Jacobs
                    >
                    > That cheap enough for me to think about getting one - sounds
                    > like a good piece of equipment to have. I'm interested to hear
                    > how you like it after using it for a bit - I'm still working
                    > thru the easiest way for me to rig up a motor/roller/belt
                    > assembly.
                    >
                    > Phil

                    Phil:

                    I like the inexpensive laser tachometer. It displays constantly
                    updated RPMs until the "test" button is released. It can also recall
                    the last measurement, the last minimum, and the last maximum. The
                    minimum is labeled "DN" for "Down", the maximum is labeled "UP", and
                    the last measurement is labeled "LA". Other than that bit of awkward
                    translation, it is very intuitive. It only needs 40mA from the three
                    standard AAA cells, so the batteries should last a long time. The
                    range of 1 to 99,999 RPM is more than I will ever need. Measurements
                    can be made from as far as 20" away.

                    The tape that reflects the laser light back to be sensed is the
                    standard stuff sold for bicycle visibility, so it's easy to get more
                    after making several dozen measurements with the supplied tape.

                    I measured the RPM of my 10,000-RPM AC/DC motor at several Variac
                    settings. The readings floated up and down about every 45 seconds at
                    each Variac setting... only a fraction of a percent or so. I believe
                    it is caused by AC line voltage fluctuations actually changing the
                    speed of the motor.

                    If you search eBay for "laser tachometer" the seller will be easy to
                    find. For some reason, there are several different prices and shipment
                    costs, but they all add up to the same amount. The tachometers are
                    new. Mine came directly from Hong Kong labeled as an "adapter" and as
                    a "gift" with a value of $3. I only had to pay the stated price and
                    delivery costs, and I got it in about 10 days.

                    Don Jacobs