Dynatron photos

  • aevanvogtrocks
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 28, 2008
      Hi There everyone.
      I was looking at the Dynatron photos and wondering if
      a guitar sting that had the spiral wrap around the
      outside would make a decent comb and would provide
      "points" for the electron flow. Just a thought. Paul
    • Richard Linder
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2008

        Paul:  One of most important features of a spray comb is that the points be uniform not only in spacing but in distance from the belt. It would seem to me that rather than wrestle with a bunch of unruly string ends the time would be better spent soldering sewing needles to a piece of printed circuit DIY circuit board or, find a scrap PC card and use the nicely spaced plug edge to support the needles.  Recycle is the word!

        Dick

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2008

          Hi Paul

          Anything is worth a try. Stranger things happen in DVG I see.

          Trev

          I was looking at the Dynatron photos and wondering if
          a guitar sting that had the spiral wrap around the
          outside would make a decent comb and would provide
          "points" for the electron flow. Just a thought. Paul

          Checked by AVG.

          Checked by AVG.

        • Trevor Hannam
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008

            Hi Richard

            I was fascinated on this subject of combs and so I had to prove it one way or another. I built 3 combs. One with sharp needles 24 Needles to the inch, A piece of 18 TPI hacksaw blade and a piece of corona wire from a photo copier.

            Results were done last night in our high humidity so may be a little out.  I placed one at a time, the combs onto the VDG terminal and tested each one in turn. The corona wire did not give off any coronas worth a darn. The hacksaw blade was quite impressive and showed huge amounts of corona given off. The pins or needles were even more so. They shot out over a huge area and covered all gaps. You could hear the ion wind hissing from them and was impressive to see in the dark.

            Conclusion – The pins won hands down and I will now be using them myself

            Trevor

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4, 2008
              Hello Dick,

              I agree that combs would be best for the larger machines,
              I was thinking of the little Dynatron that uses a single
              wire pulled tight, if I am seeing the pictures correctly.
              Later,
              Paul

              --- In VanDeGraaffGenerator@yahoogroups.com, "aevanvogtrocks"
              <aevanvogtrocks@...> wrote:

              > Hi There everyone.
              > I was looking at the Dynatron photos and wondering if
              > a guitar sting that had the spiral wrap around the
              > outside would make a decent comb and would provide
              > "points" for the electron flow. Just a thought. Paul

            • jacobsmach
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5, 2008
                Paul,

                I'm the one with the Dynatron. Yes, the upper "comb" is a very thin
                wire pulled tight. Addition of some texture to the wire may make it
                work better. I measured the current at 1uA, but have since found that
                the original belt had permanently stretched and no longer made good
                contact with the rollers. I tried a rubber band that was only about
                half as wide, and the machine's performance improved. I ruined the
                original belt trying to shorten it.

                There has been a series of rainy days and I'm sure the humidity is
                depressing the little machine. Between the difference in humidity from
                the dry day I measured the current with the original belt, and
                whatever a proper replacement belt will provide on the day it is
                tested, there is no basis for valid comparison of an alternate comb. I
                do plan to try a piece of foil-box tear strip but, like I said, I have
                to replace the belt first.

                I may try a wire-wrapped guitar string, too. The wire around the
                string (the round kind, not flat-wound) would provide some high and
                low spots along the comb, but none of it would be as fine as the wire
                now in place. We'll never know till it's tried. I'll post the results.

                Don Jacobs

                <aevanvogtrocks@...> wrote:

                > Hello Dick,
                >
                > I agree that combs would be best for the larger machines,
                > I was thinking of the little Dynatron that uses a single
                > wire pulled tight, if I am seeing the pictures correctly.
                > Later,
                > Paul
                >
                > --- In VanDeGraaffGenerator@yahoogroups.com, "aevanvogtrocks"
                > <aevanvogtrocks@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi There everyone.
                > > I was looking at the Dynatron photos and wondering if
                > > a guitar sting that had the spiral wrap around the
                > > outside would make a decent comb and would provide
                > > "points" for the electron flow. Just a thought. Paul
              • Paul Baker
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5, 2008

                  Hello Don,

                  Thanks for the reply. Dick had responded to my post but was under the

                  impression that I was thinking of using the guitar string to make

                  needles. I would guess that any gain would be small for such a

                  machine, but any improvement is progress. Let me know if you

                  ever try it.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 6, 2008

                    HI Paul & Don

                    It was one of those rare days where the humidity drops to around 40% - Today was one of those Days

                    I spent nearly the whole day playing with that little desktop VDG Don. The belt is actually 18mm wide and not 16mm as I said earlier. I tried a few experiments with it, but what was surprising is that I got 3 uA out of it and throwing sparks 3” in length. The hairs on your arms just want to throw themselves at the terminal. Quite surprising for such a small machine. Even those sparks give you a jolt. I am going to try and photograph the corona’s tonight before it starts to rain again and yes humidity does make a big difference. I hope Dick reads this message also as I am so surprised at the results now the humidity has dropped.

                    I tried 3 versions of  combs. One with Pins, one with a 18 TPI Hacksaw blade and one with a thin piece of wire across the roller and in all fairness I got the same uA results for the 3, I had to move the corona wire just above the contact point of the roller and it was here that it was at it’s best and I can say to Richard – Yes you are right about where to place the combs and I also think using an hacksaw blade that is ground sharp on the flat on both sides makes as good as you can get comb and produces good results (Try It). This machine is the best plaything I have ever built. I think I prefer it to my big one.