New Member:

  • Harold Pollner
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
      Hello, Derrick:

      Is this the extent of the VDG group? Just the two of us?

      I've been trying to get information on fabricating or obtaining a
      discharge terminal for the million-volt VDG I'm planning. It will
      have to be 24-26 inches in diameter.

      Pete Miller seems to be the man to see about this, but I can't find
      his Email address.

      Harold Pollner
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 23, 2004
        Greetings Harold,
        I know of a source for 24-inch stainless steel orbs at very
        reasonable prices. Check here: http://www.waterscapesweb.com/orbs.html
        I will likely be purchasing one soon for my next project.
        Your hopes for a million volt machine using even a 26-inch collector
        may be a little optimistic. The theortic maximum voltage that a
        perfect 26-inch sphere could attain would be approximately 910,000
        volts. In actuality this value would be closer to 773,500 volts,
        allowing for the hole to receive the belt. Of course your true
        potential would be limited by many other factors.
        I had built a small (14" collector) externally excited Van de Graaff
        machine for particle acceleration a number of years ago. I will
        attempt to get some photos of this apparatus sent to this group soon.
        Best regards,
        Chris

        --- In VanDeGraaffGenerator@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Pollner"

      • colt45hal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 23, 2004
          AOL Email

             CHRIS:

          I'm delighted to hear from another VDG enthusiast!

          I've been communicating with Steve Cole and Richard Silvera lately, and they have been offering some welcome tips. I would like to contact Pete Miller, but can't find his Email address.

          I'm a 67-year-old retired aerospace electrical engineer, and I've always been fascinated with displays of high voltage, whether from Tesla Coils, VDG's, Marx Generators, Wimshurst Machines, or from Nature herself! While employed in Boeing's Lightning Simulation Lab, I occasionally operated the 2-million-volt Marx Generator, which is a 20-stage machine, charging 20 capacitors in parallel to 100 KV, then discharging them in series through programmed spark gaps.

          I have a modest home workshop with metal lathe, drill press, grinder, band saw, and lots of hand tools.

          In order to get as close to my Megavolt yield as possible, I'm going to have a metal-spinning shop spin me a 27 or 28-inch collector from two hemispheres.  At 70KV per inch of radius, this would yield a theoretical maximum of  945,000 to 980,000 volts, minus the loss from the 9-inch entry hole for the tower.

           The description of my machine as completed to date is:

           Seven feet in height from top of collector support to ground.

           Nine-inch O.D., half-inch wall thickness, high-pressure PVC water distribution pipe as the tower.

          Quarter HP, 1725 RPM AC induction motor as the drive.

          4"dia. x 4" long PVC lower roller epoxied over plywood disc sandwich core, turned with a slight crown, direct-driven by motor, with ball bearing support on outboard end of 1/2" steel shaft.

          4.5"dia. x 4" long aluminum pipe section upper roller, turned with a slight crown and running on bronze bearings pressed into a plywood disc sandwich core. Half-inch stationary steel shaft with belt tensioning adjustments.

          Spray points of brass brads, 21 points, each spaced 3/16", for both rollers.

          Four-inch wide, 1/16" thick neoprene charge-transporting belt spliced with a 30-degree diagonal, 8-inch cemented joint.

          Double plywood (1.5" thick) 32" square base, mounted on 5 casters, with center caster to prevent sag.  (base formerly used to support Hercules, my 195-pound 17.5-inch Dobsonian astronomical telescope)

          Attached is an image file of the upper roller detail:

          Please send  more comments, tips, and pictures of your project!

          HAL

        • Derrik Walker v2.0
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2004
            On Jan 23, 2004, at 11:12 AM, colt45hal@... wrote:

            >    CHRIS:
            >
            > I'm delighted to hear from another VDG enthusiast!

            > I'm a 67-year-old retired aerospace electrical engineer, and I've
            > always been fascinated with displays of high voltage, whether from
            > Tesla Coils, VDG's, Marx Generators, Wimshurst Machines, or from
            > Nature herself! While employed in Boeing's Lightning Simulation Lab, I
            > occasionally operated the 2-million-volt Marx Generator, which is a
            > 20-stage machine, charging 20 capacitors in parallel to 100 KV, then
            > discharging them in series through programmed spark gaps.

            I'm a 31 year old computer engineer that likes playing with this stuff
            for fun. I am working on my degree, computer science, but my minors
            are EE and Physics.

            I also like playing with radios. I was thinking about using my Van de
            Graaf machine ( currently a modest 250KV one I got from edmund
            scientific when I was in high school ) and some electro magnets to
            recreate some of the VLF/ELF radio anomalies that lighting causes in
            the atmosphere.

            > I have a modest home workshop with metal lathe, drill press, grinder,
            > band saw, and lots of hand tools.

            I'm building my workshop up.

            > Attached is an image file of the upper roller detail:
            >
            > Please send  more comments, tips, andpictures of your project!

            This is pretty cool. You should post more pictures, or better yet, put
            them in the photo album of the forum.

            - Derrik

            lorddoomicus@...
            http://lorddoomicus.home.comcast.net/

            --------------------
            Quitters never win, winners never quit,
            but those who never win and never quit are idiots.
          • Chris
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 24, 2004
              Greetings to all,
              It is nice to find a group (as small as it may be at present) that
              shares an interest in Van de Graaff generators and static machines in
              general I would venture to guess. My interest in high-voltage and
              other forms of awe-inspiring science began at a relatively young
              age. My introduction to Tesla coils and the largest Van de Graff
              generator on earth was at about the age of eleven when I visited the
              Boston Museum of Science…..I've been hooked ever since. The
              construction of small Van de Graaff machines and Tesla coils began
              within a year of that visit.
              I am now a 48 year-old science buff that works in the R&D department
              of a local laser systems company. My love affair with lasers goes
              back to about the same time in my life. I was thrilled when the first
              articles on home-built lasers began to appear in Scientific American
              magazine in the late sixties and early seventies. It wasn't until
              1972 that I actually built my first laser (flashlamp-pumped organic
              dye). Of course most lasers use high-voltage too :-) To prove a
              point, I actually have operated my home-built nitrogen laser using my
              home-brew Wimshurst machine as the voltage source. For those who have
              an interest, please visit the "Amateur Laser Designers" group
              here on
              Yahoo at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amateurlaserdesigners/ and
              Sam's Laser FAQ at:
              http://an.hitchcock.org/repairfaq/sam/lasercon.htm#contoc and
              http://an.hitchcock.org/repairfaq/sam/lasercon.htm#concit3
              My present Van de Graaff employs a stainless steel collector that was
              originally used as a nuclear air bubble chamber. It has one
              undisirable feature which is the flat bottom. This limits the
              potential by allowing a continuous brush discharge to eminate from
              this edge. Although, I easily can obtain 18 to 24 inch discharges to
              a grounding rod and it does work moderately well for intended purpose
              as a high voltage source for my particle accelerator. This particular
              VDG is using a four-inch wide endless (no thump) belt of my own
              construction, two aluminum rollers, a DC charging transformer in the
              base (20,000 volts at a couple mA), current regulating resistor and
              corona gap in the HV terminal with two sets of spray points. This
              second set of points sprays a charge of the opposite sign back onto
              the belt on its downward run, thus doubling the charging current.
              This is a common configuration with most high-powered externally-
              excited Van de Graaffs and performs quite well.
              I have scaled up my Tesla coils from those early days and have just
              finished a power controller for my 10 KVA distribution transformer
              (pole pig), so I natuarally wish to build a larger Van de Graaff too.
              But as you all know the acquisition of a large top terminal is
              problematic and/or expensive. The stainless steel orbs from
              `Waterscapes' (which I left a link to in my last message)
              seems to be
              a promising solution. I have written them with some pertinent
              questions about their products as it relates to VDG construction and
              will post my findings when they reply. Anyone else have any ideas?
              Affordable ideas, that is :-)
              Let's hear from others in the group and share some thoughts. And
              remember, as Albert Einstein said, "Difficulty is but an
              opportunity
              for learning".
              Best regards,
              Chris

              P.S. I'll be posting some pictures soon.

              --- In VanDeGraaffGenerator@yahoogroups.com, Derrik Walker v2.0

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 29, 2004
                Greetings,
                Some photos are now available in the 'Photo' section. More to follow.
                I'd be happy to answer any questions and would love to hear some
                comments.
                Best,
                Chris
              • Derrik Walker v2.0
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 29, 2004
                  On Jan 29, 2004, at 11:06 AM, Chris wrote:

                  > Greetings,
                  > Some photos are now available in the 'Photo' section. More to follow.
                  > I'd be happy to answer any questions and would love to hear some
                  > comments.

                  Cool pictures Chris. I particularly like the Wimshurst machine with
                  the spark. I've tried to get pictures of the spark from my VDG but
                  have been unsuccessful.

                  - Derrik

                  While the warriors may get all the glory, it is the engineers that build
                  societies.
                  -- B`Elanna Torres, "Star Trek: Voyager"