RE: [VanDeGraaffGenerator] needing help!

  • Richard Linder
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007

      Do a GOOGLE search on Van deGraaff and you will find more information than you could possibly need on the subject.

      Dick

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007
        I suggest this site:

        http://members.aol.com/lyonelb/vdg.html

        --- In VanDeGraaffGenerator@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Linder"
        <linder@...> wrote:

        > Do a GOOGLE search on Van deGraaff and you will find more
        information than
        > you could possibly need on the subject.
        >
        > Dick
        >

        > _____

      • sandro.anderlini
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007

          <linder@...> wrote:

          > Do a GOOGLE search on Van deGraaff and you will find more
          information than
          > you could possibly need on the subject.
          >
          > Dick
          >

          > _____

        • Ing. Sandro Anderlini
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007

            I can send you some infos and links

            http://members.aol.com/lyonelb/vdg.html

            http://members.aol.com/lyonelb/vdg2.html

            http://members.aol.com/lyonelb/vdg3.html

            http://members.aol.com/lyonelb/vdg4.html

            Let me know if you need more.

            Sandro

            i just want to have a 5pages english text about any topic on vande graff like "how doeas it work",... and also i need the webpages which i used.my project should be only in internet,no books.deadline is about 1month.thanks.

            Richard Linder <linder@...> wrote:

            Post your questions on this FORUM.  Lots of help here. There are just too many topics within the VDG framework to guess at what issues you want to discuss.

            Dick Linder

            i have a physics project about VDG and i need some useful information

            with surces.if any one can help me please contact me,thank you.

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • michael hager
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007
              Thank  you

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
                    I do have another question if you don't mind. I have seen many files that said the builder used a nylon bottom roller and a aluminum top roller,  many others say nylon bottom and pvc top. I have 3" dia stock that someone barrell shaped for me; 3 1/4 long, these are going inside a 4" i.d. pve pipe. It is not nylon, but the white plastic that kitchen cutting boards are made of. The company I got it from said it ssssshould have the same properties as nylon. It will be a neg. charge VDG; i guess that's right, I"m not adding any charges to it. I'm not  that electronically, but  pretty good mechanically inclined. I'm a retired police officer and have always been intrigued by these things and have spent the last month trying to research info on them. This is the first i've ever asked a question on a forum.    thank   you
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007

                  I have built two VDGs, one large and another larger. See my pictures for construction ideas.  I have tried many combinations of top rollers, bottom rollers AND belts. There are three elements in the equation not two. The belt material is very significant in the quest for high charging currents. The electrostatic properties of the belt material are not the only consideration in choosing a material. When you begin to consider elongation ( up going side touching the down going side due to stretch) belt wrap over crowned rollers, glue-ability of the elusive splice  it becomes obvious that there are more variables here than in a choice of roller material.

                  To make a long story (and a lot of belt and roller material scrap) short, I wound up with a belt of vinyl impregnated nylon, a top roller of white PVC (pipe material) and a bottom roller of nylon. This trio offered acceptable locations on the triboelectric hierarchy, reasonable total cost and a very un-stretchable light weight belt which operated very nicely at 60 miles per hour.  The belt width was 6” and the roller diameters 3”. The resulting charging current was around 100 microamps on the bigger VDG. The smaller VDG had belt and roller dimensions approximately ½ the size and a charging current of about 35 microamps.

                  The terminal charged negatively.

                  Dick

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
                    Tyvek (house wrap) belts work great and the material is cheap if you
                    can find some scrap somewhere. Its easy to cut to size and glues
                    together well with crazy glue.I happened to have a roll laying around
                    and tried it and it worked great. I was going to use Thera band, but
                    it was too wide for my rollers and almost impossible to cut straight.
                    I used a nylon bottom roller and a rubber top roller.
                    I used a piece of 4 guage wire for the pick up. I cut off like 2.5
                    inches of the insulation and spread out the wire, and connected the
                    wire to the support column with tape, then taped the end of that wire
                    to the bottom half of my sphere, which consisted of two stainless
                    salad bowls from Kmart. A good ground is crucial. I have a stainless
                    rod pounded 3 feet into the ground. I cut up an extension cord and
                    wound all three conducter wires together on both sides. Wound like 3
                    inches of it around the rod(sand the rod where you connect the wires)
                    I did the same thing on the other side, running the ground to a wire
                    brush head that I attached to an L bracket. I ran solder all through
                    the base of the head to get connection between all of the strands,
                    and ran 12 guage solid copper wire within that solder to connect my
                    grount to. The results were amazing. I got sparks over a foot long,
                    and purple corona connections to my body extending much further than
                    that. And I've found that you get much better effects if the bowls
                    don't line up perfectly. You get intense ion streams from where the
                    two bowls meet. I used the black clips that they use in offices to
                    bind paper together to connect the top and bottom bowl. The sharp
                    edges on these will really pour out the ions, and you can feel them
                    shooting out to you through your clothes. Just experiment and have
                    fun. When you get it right you will know. I turned mine on and then
                    couldn;t even walk by the thing without it zapping me. Green pvc pipe
                    works great for your support. Mine is six inch. Black UPC works great
                    too. Don't use cardboard tubing. I made that mistake first, had some
                    really solid cardboard tubes. Found out that cardboard turns into a
                    resister at this high of voltage and you get no output at all.
                    Use bearings if you can, otherwise the thing will be annoyingly loud.
                    Otherwise just be creative and scrounge parts where you can.
                    Copy machines are a great resource for parts. If you can get someone
                    to donate a broken one to you you'll have parts for several projects.
                    I'm on to a tesla coil. Those capacitors can bite...ouch.
                    Oh, one more thing, never put a water bottle on top of your van de
                    graff when you get it going. I made that mistake and picked it up and
                    the damn thing almost electrocuted me, worst shock I've ever had.
                    Weird, I know, but true.
                    Be safe and good luck!
                    --- In VanDeGraaffGenerator@yahoogroups.com, michael hager