Belts

  • juke_family
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2007
      Hi All,

      I haven't built my own generator yet, but I own the small and large
      generators from Science First (older large model).

      When the price of the belt for the large generator went up to $35 each
      (2" wide neoprene) I considered alternatives. My inspiration came from
      the R.A.Ford book 'Homemade Lightning.'

      I used neoprene strips(1/32") from McMaster-Carr and butt glued the 45
      degree splices using super glue gel. It is a bit tricky, but pulling
      on some test joints, the belt failed before the joint did almost
      always, and I stretched it way beyond any force that it would
      encounter in use. I needed some stretch in the band since I could not
      adjust the pulley spacing. The strips come in 36" lengths so it took
      two to make the band. They offer several hardnesses and elongation
      limits of the material and I need to do a little more experimenting.
      My homemade belt generated about 90% of the original belt current. Not
      too bad since it only cost me 10% of a replacement belt. Maybe some
      harder or softer neoprene strips will work better. I don't remember
      which one one I used but it was somewhere in the middle to soft area.

      I realize that this material won't work for large machines where the
      belt may tend to stick together because of its flexibility, but it
      works very well on smaller machines.

      James
    • trevor_mixie
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31 1:40 AM
        Hi Richard and Don

        Have any of you tried the Pirelli rubber belt. It does work well
        Trev
      • Richard Linder
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31 11:35 AM

          Not I

          Dick

          Have any of you tried the Pirelli rubber belt. It does work well
          Trev

        • jacobsmach
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31 6:46 PM
            Trevor,

            The only Pirelli rubber I have ever tried was on the wheels of my
            car... nice tires.

            Don

            --- In VanDeGraaffGenerator@yahoogroups.com, "trevor_mixie"