RE: [VanDeGraaffGenerator] problem

  • Richard Linder
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007

      I can only speak to what I have had success with.  Bottom roller nylon, top roller either Teflon or white PVC, belt vinyl impregnated nylon.  Be careful when you assume one material has the “same properties as another”. It may appear to be the same but not electrostatically.  When it comes to plastics, manufacturers frequently add something to the mix that could make the material unacceptable.

      Unless you are having fun experimenting,  why use fragile glass when there are other proven materials from which to choose??

      As far as the terminal is concerned, we have enough trouble shaping the hole that accepts the column let alone other mechanical issues.  Any additional openings would potentially pose corona problems.

      Dick