New Member

  • Dick Linder
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
      Hi:

      My name is Dick Linder and I am a semi-retired electrical engineer
      located near Boston MA. I am currently the station engineer in my
      town's public access TV station.

      Last summer I had the opportunity to visit the Boston Museum of
      Science during "off" hours and was able to visit the VDG from top to
      bottom as well as run the monster. I was hooked and decided to build
      a VDG for the Science Center which is part of my town's school
      system. I am using an 18" stainless sphere, formerly a garden gazing
      ball. Top roller is teflon, bottom roller is nylon, the 3" belt is
      mylar. The belt speed is variable up to about 100 ft/sec.

      I can achieve around 30mA short circuit current and with the sphere
      in place I get about a 10" spark to a smaller 7" grounded sphere. I
      also have a 30" aluminum sphere which, should charge up to a higher
      voltage but unfortunately is quite disappointing and does not perform
      as well as the 18" sphere.

      I am happy to have found this group with the hope you might have some
      ideas about the failure of the big sphere. I also hope I can
      contribute to the group by way of the experience that I have acquired
      in building my first VDG.

      For what it's worth I have posted one of many pictures I have of the
      finished generator in the folder named TIBIA32. By the way, I am a
      Wurlitzer Theater Pipe Organ nut and a TIBIA is the name of one of
      the voices in a Wurlitzer Theater organ and I use this handle on
      other Yahoo organ groups.

      Dick
    • colt45hal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004

           Hi, Dick!

           It's nice to meet another VDG enthusiast!

           My name is Harold Pollner, and I'm a fully retired electrical engineer, having retired from Boeing in July 1998, the day before I turned 62! (I'm now 67).  I worked in the R&D test lab division, developing antennas for airborne communications, navigation, and weapons control systems.  I also worked in the Lightning Lab, where I operated several high-energy discharge devices, including a 2-million volt Marx Generator. I also have a Commercial FCC Radiotelephone License, and a Ham license which I let expire in November.

           I used to belong to LATOS, the Los Angeles Theatre Organ Society, and last year I sold my Conn 650, a 3-manual, 32-pedal electronic theatre organ with a 60-note rank of speaker pipes. I sold the organ to make room for a Grand Piano, which I've wanted all my life and really enjoy playing.

           I'm also an Amateur Astronomer, and I have a fully automated 12" Meade LX200 GPS telescope, which I use with our astronomy club HiDAS (High Desert Astronomical Society).
        A picture of me with my scope is in the gallery section of our website:
        www.hidasonline.com. I'm the one in the Stetson hat!

           My VDG will be 7 feet tall when I install the top terminal, which will be a 27" to 30"aluminum sphere from a metal-spinning shop. I am currently machining the top roller, which will carry the 4" neoprene belt.

            I think you're in error concerning your short-circuit current.  You stated 30 ma (milliamps), when I think you mean 30 ua, (microamps).

           Let's exchange pictures of our projects!  My home Email address is
        colt45hal@....  See you on the Forum!

           Harold

      • Richard R. Linder
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
          Hi Hal (once again)& everyone else:

          We're of the same generation, I am 69.   Worked for Raytheon as manager of  the metrology lab in the Power Tube Division based in Waltham MA.  Also former W1ZVS, but let all that go by the wayside when I got into Wurlitzers!

          I have a Conn 651 which I midi-ized. The Conn is intact but I only use the manuals and pedals to drive midi encoders.  I am running an Allen Expander, Ahlborn Archive, SCPOP (from a PC), Comput'org (from the same PC) and four Roland Theatre Organ Modules (one for each division).

          By golly I did screw up, uA not mA for sure!!

          My VDG is also about 7' high with a 18" stainless "gazing ball" obtained from a landscaping supply (Waterscapes). I can generate about a 10" arc but want to push the system a bit further. When I run the VDG in a large space with lots of elbow room it snaps and crackles like Rice Krispies. I think I have a lot of corona but have to find a big dark room to locate the problem areas.  I have a 30" spun aluminum sphere with a nice re-entrant involute. I am afraid my corona problem is severely limiting the performance of this large termnal.

          I am also not sure that the combination of a nylon roller, a teflon roller and a mylar belt is optimum. We'll do some experimenting this winter and try some variations. I also want to try the VDG in the "pumped" mode.
          Lots of variables!!!!!!

          Check my pic file on the YAHOO site.