Re: Gov Vetos Bill to Sell 13 acre parcel to Daly City

  • Russel
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
      I hope your idea of a Sunset Gardens / Copia agricultral center
      resurfaces...

      Russel

      --- In Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com, "Linda DAvirro" <sflindad@...>
      wrote:

      > For those who were following the progress of SB 1527 authored by
      Sen.
      > Yee to sell 13 acres to Daly City, today Gov Schwarzenegger VETOED
      SB
      > 1527
      >
      > Here is his comment to the veto:
      >
      > To the Members of the California State Senate:
      > I am returning Senate Bill 1527 without my signature.
      >
      > This bill requires the Director of the Department of General
      Services
      > to enter into negotiations to sell a 13-acre parcel at the Cow
      Palace
      > to any interested third party, with the Daly City Redevelopment
      > Agency having the first right of refusal.
      >
      > SB 1527 circumvents the state's current competitive bid process and
      > would potentially limit the state's financial return for the sale
      of
      > state-owned land without creating any added value for the
      surrounding
      > community. By including the first right of refusal provisions, this
      > bill narrows the range of options for the use of the property and
      > places the state at risk to receive less revenue than if the
      property
      > was offered to all interested parties through a normal competitive
      > bid process.
      > Sincerely,
      > Arnold Schwarzenegger
      >
      > Many residents (myself included) thought that this legislation was
      > not in the best interests of the surrounding community and was
      biased
      > toward Daly City.
      >
      > Perhaps Sen Yee will consider opening up public community input
      when
      > he decides to submit this bill again.
      >
      > Linda D'Avirro

    • Maryanne Razzo
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
        I agree with Russel - conversion to a garden/agricultural center would be a
        fine use for that area.
        Maryanne