Gov Vetos Bill to Sell 13 acre parcel to Daly City

  • Linda DAvirro
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2008
      For those who were following the progress of SB 1527 authored by Sen.
      Yee to sell 13 acres to Daly City, today Gov Schwarzenegger VETOED SB
      1527

      Here is his comment to the veto:

      To the Members of the California State Senate:
      I am returning Senate Bill 1527 without my signature.

      This bill requires the Director of the Department of General Services
      to enter into negotiations to sell a 13-acre parcel at the Cow Palace
      to any interested third party, with the Daly City Redevelopment
      Agency having the first right of refusal.

      SB 1527 circumvents the state's current competitive bid process and
      would potentially limit the state's financial return for the sale of
      state-owned land without creating any added value for the surrounding
      community. By including the first right of refusal provisions, this
      bill narrows the range of options for the use of the property and
      places the state at risk to receive less revenue than if the property
      was offered to all interested parties through a normal competitive
      bid process.
      Sincerely,
      Arnold Schwarzenegger

      Many residents (myself included) thought that this legislation was
      not in the best interests of the surrounding community and was biased
      toward Daly City.

      Perhaps Sen Yee will consider opening up public community input when
      he decides to submit this bill again.

      Linda D'Avirro
    • Russel
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
        I hope your idea of a Sunset Gardens / Copia agricultral center
        resurfaces...

        Russel

        --- In Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com, "Linda DAvirro" <sflindad@...>
        wrote:

        > For those who were following the progress of SB 1527 authored by
        Sen.
        > Yee to sell 13 acres to Daly City, today Gov Schwarzenegger VETOED
        SB
        > 1527
        >
        > Here is his comment to the veto:
        >
        > To the Members of the California State Senate:
        > I am returning Senate Bill 1527 without my signature.
        >
        > This bill requires the Director of the Department of General
        Services
        > to enter into negotiations to sell a 13-acre parcel at the Cow
        Palace
        > to any interested third party, with the Daly City Redevelopment
        > Agency having the first right of refusal.
        >
        > SB 1527 circumvents the state's current competitive bid process and
        > would potentially limit the state's financial return for the sale
        of
        > state-owned land without creating any added value for the
        surrounding
        > community. By including the first right of refusal provisions, this
        > bill narrows the range of options for the use of the property and
        > places the state at risk to receive less revenue than if the
        property
        > was offered to all interested parties through a normal competitive
        > bid process.
        > Sincerely,
        > Arnold Schwarzenegger
        >
        > Many residents (myself included) thought that this legislation was
        > not in the best interests of the surrounding community and was
        biased
        > toward Daly City.
        >
        > Perhaps Sen Yee will consider opening up public community input
        when
        > he decides to submit this bill again.
        >
        > Linda D'Avirro

      • Maryanne Razzo
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
          I agree with Russel - conversion to a garden/agricultural center would be a
          fine use for that area.
          Maryanne