Re: [Valley_Eye] Fw: [InglesideStationNewsletter] Ingleside Station Newsletter - Public Announcement: Theft of Recycling Materials

  • Jean Feilmoser
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 29, 2008

      Now here is a viewpoint I can aggree w/.  It's a huge racket....I've seen them loading from their carts into houses full of the stuff....and I have heard that it's quite a racket and they have quotas to meet, etc.  I don't think it's only the garbage men who leave rubbish on the streets, but citizens/immigrants themselves who trash our city.

      I see people all the time throw trash from their car windows, like cigaratte pack wrappers, see people get off muni and throw their transfer on the ground....it takes education of the immigrant population as well as citizens to put trash where it belongs...and more trash recpticals around.

      Sorry, to me it's stealing and wrong..........and if they want to become citizens, they need to respect the laws.............I'm tired of cleaning up their refuse that gathers at my gate and blows into my yard......................Jean
      From: Katharine Pearce <kwpearce@hotmail. com>
      To: valley_eye@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 4:11 PM

      I'm with Tara, the folks rummaging my cans are tidy, more so than the mess that is usually on the sidewalk after the trucks have done their work. I say focus on the bigger crimes!

      To: Valley_Eye@yahoogro ups.com
      From: judithwsandoval@ comcast.net
      Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:03:26 -0700

      You are a gas and am so thankful you are still in VV.  I too help the elderly go through my can, but sometimes they don't like what I have to offer.  Ahhhhh sweet rejection, love Judith

      On Aug 28, 2008, at 3:43 PM, tara hui wrote:

      A friend of mine had his catalytic converter stolen in Hayes Valley. Apparently, older cars are more susceptible to this theft because of its metal content.

      I hope people won't rush out and call the cops on the supposed '
      recycling poachers'. The few that I've encountered, both outside our house and in the Mission Dolores, are generally old and otherwise unemployable so, I think this is a way for them to make a few dollars to subsist. They are quiet and polite when they take the cans, and often would thank you if you hand it to them. They are far less aggressive than the panhandlers in the park. Given that we can bring our own recycling over to redeem for money, I think it is not inappropriate if we 'give' the cans to these people to act as our intermediaries.

      We don't drink soda or buy bottled water so there have been times when I would tell one of them that there's nothing and he/she would just walk by so, if you really don't want them to go through your trash, you can put the cans out for them or just tell them there's nothing.

      Times are hard, let's not push the already downtrodden. That being said, call the cops immediately if you see someone cutting pipes or stealing car parts.

      Tara

      --

      In 1941, Edward Dowling, editor and priest, commented: "The two greatest obstacles to democracy in the United States are, first, the widespread delusion among the poor that we have a democracy, and second, the chronic terror among the rich, lest we get it."

      --

      To: Valley_Eye@yahoogro ups.com
      From: aheins@sbcglobal. net
      Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:43:41 -0700

      For those of you that do not get the Ingleside Newsletter please read....

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 29, 2008
        Wow, didn't realize my little cautionary advise would start up an anti-immigrant rampage. May I ask, what percentage of trash do you know for sure are thrown by 'immigrants', or by that, do you really mean nonwhite? I must say, I've seen more trash thrown from people who don't particularly look like immigrants. However, do I know for sure? No.

        As I had stated before, we pay the 5 cent surcharge when we purchase our drinks from the store, we have the right to redeem it for the return of that money. Would it be so 'unlawful' to say, I give this right to a neighbor to act on my behalf in redeeming that money? I think it's utter waste of tax payer's money to have police intervene on behalf of corporations in order to secure what they perceive as 'lost revenue'. Frankly, I don't think it is a revenue stream that the garbage company counted on to be able to provide services. It is perhaps an additional profit. Let me reiterate just so that it is clear - we pay a DEPOSIT on those bottles, the purpose is to encourage recycling. But lazy as we are, many of us never bother to redeem for the return of that DEPOSIT. Many among us, don't even bother to sort out the bottles from trash. I consider these people providing a service to our city, they pick through both the recycle and trash bins and in fact, created "Green Jobs" for themselves. Aren't we a country that pride ourselves on entrepreneurial spirit? Providing a green service at NO COST to us is called a racket, and a huge one at that, makes me wonder what Enron was.

        Before jumping to any kind of finger pointing accusation and scapegoating the immigrants. I just want to point out that, our neighborhood is predominantly Asian, may be that explains why the elderly people picking through trash seem to be mostly Asian. My personal observation (out of the 4 I've seen around here) - 50% are Asian, 2 appears to be from 2 other separate ethnic groups; I won't venture to say what ethnic group they are because that is irrelevant. 50% is reflective of our neighborhood's demographic make up. However, in Mission/Dolores not one of the trash sorters that I've seen are Asian, they are not mostly Latino either so... immigrant bashing is nothing more than just a reflection of our own biases.

        Let's not cast stones on the already downtrodden, immigrant or not. Besides, it's just too hard to tell without turning into a racist thing, right?

        --

        To: Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com
        From: gypsyj@...
        Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:47:15 -0700

        To: Valley_Eye@yahoogro ups.com

        From: aheins@sbcglobal. net
        Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:43:41 -0700

[...]

        Talk to your Yahoo! Friends via Windows Live Messenger. Find Out How
      • Roberts, Paul E.
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 29, 2008

          Just for the records my original comments and thoughts about people who collect recycling from the blue bins was not related in any way and has no connection with any comments from that post making insinuations about immigrants. I do not agree with the sentiment of that post. I am married to someone who immigrated to this country and in turn have many relatives who are immigrants and I feel that was insulting to them.

          My feelings are mixed. I would not report someone going thru my bins if they were not making a mess. We recycle all of your plastic bottles ourselves so I do not have this issue, but I do consider it theft whether it is from a corporation or not.

          I think it could have a negative effect on recycling programs and that is not a good thing.

          -Paul

          From: gypsyj@...
          Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:47:15 -0700

          To: Valley_Eye@yahoogro ups.com

          From: aheins@sbcglobal. net
          Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:43:41 -0700

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 29, 2008

            Wow.....everyone is extremely sensitive....I was NOT insinuating nor insulting any particular ethnic group was more guilty than any other. My family were immigrants too, and I'm only a first generation 'American' .  I did not focus ONLY on immigrants in my post, included 'citizens' which is generic............do not read anything into my post that is not there.  I think the stealing of ANYBODY'S recycleables is wrong by ANYBODY & everybody.  J

            From: gypsyj@...
            Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:47:15 -0700

            To: Valley_Eye@yahoogro ups.com

            From: aheins@sbcglobal. net
            Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:43:41 -0700

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 29, 2008

              Not sure how I feel about calling in the police to stop this activity - and agree that I "own" the cans/bottles and can choose to give them to anyone, but . .

              I really hate people going through my recycling and would feel the same regardless of their ethnicity. This is a class issue, not ethnicity issue. Rich people don't dig in recycling cans to make their money. I hate it because it feels like an invasion of my privacy. I put my cans out at 5:30am just to avoid this.

              Linda

              From: gypsyj@...
              Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:47:15 -0700

              To: Valley_Eye@yahoogro ups.com

              From: aheins@sbcglobal. net
              Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:43:41 -0700

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 29, 2008
                Sorry Jean, I don't think we were being too sensitive in concluding from this statement - "Sorry, to me it's stealing and wrong....... ...and if they want to become citizens, they need to respect the laws........ .....I'm tired of cleaning up their refuse that gathers at my gate and blows into my yard........ ........." that, you were referring to immigrants.

                And since, from my experience, it is difficult to tell who is or is not a citizen without knowing them personally, and asked them specifically about their citizenship/immigrant status, I assumed that you based your observation on race/ethnicity. If I was wrong in making that  assumption, I'm sorry. May be you have more information on people than the rest of us.

                Tara

                --

                To: Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com
                From: gypsyj@...
                Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:33:53 -0700

                From: gypsyj@...
                Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:47:15 -0700

                To: Valley_Eye@yahoogro ups.com

                From: aheins@sbcglobal. net
                Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:43:41 -0700

[...]

                Be the filmmaker you always wanted to be—learn how to burn a DVD with Windows®. Make your smash hit