Re: SFGate: Trash facility proposal raises neighbors' ire

  • Linda DAvirro
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16, 2008
      Hi Neighbors:

      We really need your support to join with us to come to next Monday's
      special meeting, hear and understand the details of a plan almost
      approved by the Rec Park Commission and SF Housing Authority before
      some of us caught it and it was pulled from the calendar.

      Ask Franco Mancini, Mike Olinger, Steven Currier EDIA, Linda Harte,
      me and many others what FOMP and Crocker Amazon Park Advisory, OMMRA,
      EDIA and others see as a poorly thought out plan to convert our
      parklands into a garbage collection and recycling center exclusively
      for 767 Sunnydale families.

      The logic give by the HOA is that some of the families don't pull out
      their blue or black "todders" - those plastic garbage bins. Others
      who do, don't put them back.

      HOA's solution?
      Stop the Sunset Scavenger pickups (which has already happened) dis-
      incent those homeowners who DO put out their trash receptacles and
      REWARD those who don't put out their receptacles. How are they
      rewarded? Unlike everyone else in SF who would get fined or a health
      citation, HOA has decided the answer is to hire 4-5 people to get the
      trash that ought to be in receptacles and dump & sort it on 1750
      acres originally planned to be turned into a Rec Park nursery for
      plantings in McLaren Park and elsewhere.

      This is only part of the story - no one knows how many families do or
      don't recycle, whether HOA is abandoning its own responsibility for
      training, incenting, rewarding and punishing those families that do
      follow what the rest of SF must follow, how these "collectors are
      going to access these receptacles that never make it to the curbs,
      how many trips per day, etc etc etc. What's wrong with taking the
      trash to the nearby transfer station on Tunnel Road?

      We may hae an uphill battle on this so please register your
      opposition to our park and neighborhood being "dumped" on.
      Thank you!

      Linda D'Avirro, FACE, Crocker Amazon Park Advisory Board

      The details of all of this is what we demanded to hear this coming
      Monday
      --- In Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com, "EDIE EPPS" <aheins@...> wrote:

      > PUBLIC MEETING MONDAY 7/21 6:30PM AT CITY HALL #408
      > This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
      > The original article can be found on SFGate.com here:
      > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?
      file=/c/a/2008/07/16/BA7Q11PH84.DTL
      > Wednesday, July 16, 2008 (SF Chronicle)
      > Trash facility proposal raises neighbors' ire
      > Marisa Lagos, Chronicle Staff Writer
      >

      > Neighbors around McLaren Park are hopping mad over plans to
      build a
      > garbage and recycling facility in San Francisco's second-largest
      open
      > space, saying the move is just another example of City Hall dumping
      on
      > this low- and middle-income community in the southeast area of the
      city.
      > San Francisco Housing Authority officials, who proposed the new
      center,
      > think the move is a no-brainer: The modest-sized facility, which
      will
      > allow the agency to sort and compact garbage on site, will save
      hundreds
      > of thousands of dollars in refuse costs and help reinstate
      recycling for
      > the 767 households in the Sunnydale public housing development. It
      will
      > also offer employment opportunities to some of the project's
      residents.
      > It would be built and operated by the Housing Authority, but
      must be
      > approved by the city's Recreation and Park Department, which owns
      the
      > land.
      > The catch, of course, is the location. The 1,750-square-foot
      facility
      > would be plopped down in what's currently an empty, overgrown lot
      on the
      > southern side of McLaren Park. The site is near the Gleneagles Golf
      > Course, next to an after-school program and across Sunnydale Avenue
      from a
      > day care facility.
      > That location has sparked a community outcry, forcing the
      Recreation and
      > Park Department to delay a decision. On Monday, two commissioners
      from
      > each agency will hold a joint meeting to gauge public opinion.
      > Some neighbors, such as Portola resident Mike Olinger, say that
      McLaren
      > Park has been plagued for years by illegal dumping and that the
      practice
      > will only increase if the facility is built. "The message the city
      sends
      > is that we don't care about you. You are a community where we can
      put a
      > garbage dump," he said. "Can you imagine someone proposing this in
      Golden
      > Gate Park? It would never happen."
      > Yet some city officials see the facility as a positive park
      addition that
      > will be secure and actually help clean up the area. Housing
      Authority

      ---------------------------------------

    • rmorine@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 22, 2008
        If someone attended this meeting, can you give us an update. Is it a done deal or pending more discussions??

        Russel

      • Linda Davirro
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 22, 2008
          Yep. I'll get back to you later.

          Linda J. D'Avirro
          President, Crocker Amazon Park Advisory Board
          Friends and Advocates of Crocker Amazon and the Excelsior/F.A.C.E.
          District 11
          San Francisco, California