Moon Walk in Brisbane

  • Edith Epps
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19 7:04 AM
      This is a fun event....thought I'd pass it on.....weather permitting but there is also the NASA Ecilpse Page...this was provided by FACE (Friends of Crocker Amazon and Excelsior) in their newsletter....

      From Jo Coffey (San Bruno Mountain Watch): Full Moon this Wednesday
      Gung Hay Fat Choy! This is quite a full moon coming up on Wednesday. It's Chinese New Year, and this year, the Chinese New Year full moon will have a total eclipse, which for us, will be happening soon after moonrise.

      Our walks are timed so that we see the moon rising as we walk. What we will see this time is the moon beginning to move into the earth's shadow - the umbra - as it rises. It will be fully eclipsed by about 7:00. The period of total eclipse will end about an hour later, about 8:00, as the moon starts slipping out of the earth's shadow. That process will take about an hour, and the moon will be out of the earth's shadow by about 9:00. For more detailed information about this eclipse, check out NASA's Eclipse page:

      Since the moon will be putting on a show for a few hours, we've decided this month to have a potluck dinner after our walk. We will meet for the walk itself at the Quarry Road Entrance Park by the Brisbane Post Office and Community Garden, Wednesday, February 20th at 5:45. When that's over, anyone interested can come to the Mountain Watch office, 44 Visitacion, Suite 206 - upstairs in the back - for a potluck. We'll share our supper there, and people can wander out to see the moon. The office will be open before the walk for people to drop off food. We've got a small refrigerator and microwave.
       Of course, the weather has to cooperate, and right now, frankly, the weather report isn't promising. If we have heavy rain, sadly, we will have to cancel. But let's think positive. We might get lucky. It's Chinese New Year.

      More News Soon:  Your FACE Newsletter committee