RE: [Valley_Eye] Re: Fresh & Easy Grocery Stores

  • Leslie Bauer
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2008
      Hi I'm new to the group but not the neighborhood. Is anyone talking to the owners of good life or TJ's would a petition help. I know that a group in portola is petitioning for martha's coffee to open up ship in that neighborhood. What can we do to make our voices heard. Would love to see something walking distance.

      Leslie

      Leslie Bauer

      Paragon Real Estate Group

      415.205.3899. lbauer@...

      Market stats and blog at your fingertips.

      http://www.paragon-re.com/UpdateReport.htm

      http://www.highrises.com/city/sanfrancisco

      A referral is the best thank you.

      From: mvrazzo@sonic. net
      Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 00:54:26 +0000
      Subject: [Valley_Eye] Re: Fresh & Easy Grocery Stores

      Hi Everyone,

      Even though Russel said "undeserved, " it's nevertheless a sentiment
      in the backs of the minds of all retail stores whenever considering
      our Visitacion Valley. Sad, but true. And, yes, Russel, IF that
      Safeway space were still there . . .

      English grocery stores look exactly like the "Fresh and Easy" stores
      we're going to get. It's the English way of grocery shopping.
      Wouldn't we be lucky, though, if it were an Italian chain (just
      joking!!) coming into the neighborhood. My husband is English and
      I've often accused him of not speaking English - they use statements
      like, "cheap and cheerful," which put all sorts of images into my
      imagination when I first heard it. So, "fresh" may mean freshly put
      into a jar and the "easy" part is the do-it-yourself checkout. Or,
      maybe the products are delivered via an automated vending machine.

      Is there any word about Good Life? I thought I overhead someone say
      that the manager of the store in Bernal Heights was thinking of
      starting another one in Visitacion Valley. Maybe he had his eye on
      the Superfair. They do a pretty brisk business up there in Bernal
      Heights, but their prices are "upscale." Lucky has made a sudden
      resurrection and transformed all of the Albertsons. Have they ever
      approached our neighborhood?

      Maryanne

      --- In Valley_Eye@yahoogro ups.com, tara hui <tarahui@... > wrote:

      > Funny they should call themselves "Fresh and Easy" - nothing seems
      fresh there! Like we need more packaged junk food and of course...
      liquor.

      > Tara
      >
      > "We
      > call this the `free world'; but the only freedom under these
      > circumstances is the rich people's freedom to exploit the
      > poor." - Philip Agee died on Jan. 7, age 72
      >
      > To: Valley_Eye@yahoogro ups.com
      > From: aheins@...
      > Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 14:02:15 -0800
      > Subject: Re: [Valley_Eye] Fresh & Easy Grocery Stores

      > The site that you reference sure didn't spare on the
      fact that they carry beer and liquor...also "those awful" self
      checkers...never can go to one that doesn't cause trouble and putting
      someone out of a job...which is what we need. Also wouldn't think
      BofA would mind connecting with a grocery store as most of the
      branches now are mini ones anyway. Like you said we need to keep the
      options open...edie

      > rmorine@... wrote: The Fresh and Easy store model is
      > interesting. From what I've heard, Vis Valley is on their radar as
      an undeserved neighborhood. But unlike the Bayview and Portola,
      currently there are no sites suitable for a 10,000 square foot store
      in our neighborhood. IF the library had not purchased the Superfair
      site at Leland and Rutland, that would be a good location. IF
      Silvestri's had not moved into the old Safeway / Big Lot site on
      Bayshore that would have been the ideal location. The Bank of America
      building and parking lot is about the right size but would require
      demolition and new development. The old El Rancho site in Daly City
      could work. Its currently under construction as a mixed use building
      with retail and parking below and condos above but I haven't heard
      if Fresh and Easy or Daly City has looked into this however.
      That leaves the Schlage Lock site. A full service grocery store has
      always been part of the community planning process and it makes
      > sense that as the process continues, Fresh and Easy should be on
      the short list of possible grocery stores. But lets make sure that we
      keep adding names to our list so that we can compare and contrast
      them when the time is right. I found these images of a Southern
      California Fresh and Easy store. This might help visualize how they
      are different from the traditional grocery store.
      http://www.flickr. com/photos/ tags/fresheasy/ ?page=4 Russel