Fw: Summer Camp for Kids/River Camp

  • marlene tran
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2013
      FYI only

      --- On Tue, 3/26/13, Dolores <doloreselkin@...> wrote:

      From: Dolores <doloreselkin@...>
      Subject: [theportola] Summer Camp for Kids/River Camp
      Date: Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 1:27 PM

      River Camp: hosted at The San Francisco School

      I've worked at River Camp with Gregory Gavin for a few summers and love it. More important, the kids love it. We still have a few openings.The kids build with wood and other materials and make boats, structures, creatures, bridges...all 3D, all on one plot around a 35 foot long river with real running water (check it out at www.riveropolis.com) . It's fabulous fun and there are still some openings if you know of someone with a child looking to fill a few weeks of summer whois inclined to work in art and building. We use hammers, saws, glue guns, paint, clay, and more.

       Last year we created a river that went underground (to the center of the earth), this year river camp looks skyward! Our young architects and storytellers will work individually and together to create a society of people and creatures who live along a river flanked by towering tree-houses. Each child will devise a vertical landscape to include trees, trees-houses, areal gardens, exotic birds, bird people, angels, fairies, scary creatures, mythological figures and mysterious elevated habitations. Along the way campers will learn about architecture, design, and a smidgen of biology and geology. The finished 35-foot river landscape will be the centerpiece for a Grand Tour (really a kind of special performance) for parents and friends.

       Entering 3rd Grade to entering 6th Grade – limited to 18 kids per session

      Session 1: June 10 to June 21

      Session 2: June 24 to July 3  Hours: 9 am to 3 pm

      Location: The San Francisco School  300 Gaven St., SF,CA 94134 Contact: Tiphani Russell  at the San Francisco School: tmrussell@... 415 239-5065 x 105

      River Camp Teacher Gregory Gavin, a visual artist, designs public art and educational projects for schools, museums and public places. He's been commissioned by the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, the de Young Museum and has piloted summer camps for the Bay Area Discovery Museum and MOCA.

      Co-teacher Dolores Elkin has over 28 years of experience teaching (22 of them at The SF School). She has a CA teaching credential for art, along with a CA credential for teaching grades pre-K-8.