McLaren Park History Walk & Work Party, Saturday March 30, 10AM-1PM

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2013
      Hi everyone,

      I'd like to give you a great excuse to get outside on a nice spring morning, while also doing something vital for our closest big City open space -- John McLaren Park. The theme is history, so come hear the stories and see the maps of how the McLaren region looked fifty and a hundred years ago!

      We'll start with a brief history talk about Mansell Street and the surrounding areas, then walk up the hill to a nice vantage point for observation both of the old roadbeds and homestead locations in McLaren ("old" and "new" maps provided!), as well as the springtime consequences of the 2012 wildfire on the southern slopes. Then we'll break up into Easy Peasy, Moderate, and Fit As A Fiddle contingents to spread out along Mansell and pick up discarded trash on our way back to lunch, while discovering firsthand some of the leftover markers of times gone by. Rec/Park and other City workers will be on hand to direct traffic and make sure we work safely and efficiently.

      So join us for a morning of community action and historical exploration! Bring your family and friends, and your favorite beverages, desserts, and snacks to share as well.  This event is sponsored by Save McLaren Park  and SFRPD's Natural Areas Program, with additional support from the McLaren Park Collaborative

      Meet at the Mansell/Visitacion Ave. parking lot.

      Schedule
      • 9:45AM - 10:00AM -- Tea, coffee, pastries
      • 10:00AM - 10:45AM --  Work Party orientation, History and Nature Walk with SFRPD's Kirra Swenerton
      • 10:45AM - NOON -- Work Party
      • NOON - 1:00PM -- Picnic lunch & refreshments

      Volunteer Guidelines
      • Old clothes—you will be getting dirty
      • Layers of clothes—long pants and long sleeved shirt
      • Sturdy, closed-toed shoes with good tread
      • Raingear and/or sun block and sun hat
      • Water or additional snacks for special dietary needs
      • Gloves—if you have them, otherwise we will supply

      Event Information
      • Projects take place rain or shine, barring high winds or dangerous weather conditions.
      • SFRPD will provide all the necessary tools.
      • Please arrive promptly for the work party so everyone can receive instructions and be informed of safety concerns.
      • To learn more about this event, contact Joe Grey, SFRPD Natural Areas Program volunteer coordinator, (415) 831-6328.

      Cheers,
      Ken