RE: [Valley_Eye] 2650 Bayshore will likely be MTA's new tow ya...

  • rmorine@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2012
      As far as I am aware no meetings with Visitacion Valley residents occurred. I only found out about it by chance two ago when I saw the hearing on the SFGov channel...

      In a message dated 10/18/2012 3:16:56 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, mvrazzo@... writes:
      This is, in fact, the first I've heard about the city's plans to move the tow yard to our side of town.

      Have representatives, whomever they may be, from our neighborhood, had the opportunity to meet with either the BOS and/or relevant city officials involved with MTA, and has the supervisor in our district opened a public hearing or meeting to discuss the potential impacts of this business with the people who live in the vicinity?  Wouldn't there be an EIR or its equivalent for our neighborhood and not just the neighborhood (South Park?) that may currently be affected by environmental hazards of having a tow yard in the vicinity.  This seems to me to be a political decision, and not just a matter of redevelopment of the waterfront, or even the inconvenience of filing for eminent domain.

      I agree with Edie, are we not residents of this area?  You could easily say that the area adjacent to Potrero Hill at 26th Street, facing Cesar Chavez equally fall under the category of M1 status.  The only difference is the residents of Potrero Hill wouldn't allow a tow yard to open there.  Seems terribly convenient that Daly City gains, and our neighborhood may suffer the consequences.

      Thanks for sharing this Russel.

      Maryanne

      From: andrea.bruss@...
      Subj: Fw: BOS Agenda Item 10 - Real Property Lease - 2650 Bayshore concerns

      Mr. Morine -
      The Supervisor raised a number of these questions at today's hearing. But, I did want to send you additional detailed responses to these questions/concerns in case you were not able to see the hearing. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We found these responses detailed and thoughtful and stressed to the MTA that we expect that they and their contractor will continue to work with neighbors on any complaints or issues that arise over the lifetime of this facility.
      Andrea

      Question 1: If the relocation occurs then it would be fair to say that while one community greatly benefits another community adds to its list of undesirable land usages. How does this fit San Francisco’s environmental justice and sustainability goal?

      SFMTA response : The SFMTA and Port of San Francisco entered into a Memorandum of Understanding for the use of approximately 13 acres of property on Pier 70 for the SFMTA’s towed car operations, storage and uses; the First Amendment of this MOU extended the term to July 31, 2015. There is a one-year termination notice provision, pursuant to which the SFMTA or the Port may terminate the MOU with 12 months’ notice. In concert with the Port’s intention of developing the Pier 70 area as a mixed use opportunity area as highlighted in the Port’s Waterfront Land Use Plan and the Port’s Pier 70 Area Preferred Master Plan , the SFMTA has been searching for years for an equivalent-sized site to house its towed car operations. The SFMTA’s timely relocation from Pier 70 will allow the Port an opportunity to effectively execute part of its waterfront revitalization Master Plan and further creates a win-win situation for both agencies on accomplishing their respective strategic goals and objectives. Secondly, and more importantly, the relocation would enable the SFMTA and AutoReturn to improve conditions for employees and the public, as well as address environmental concerns as to whether the towing and storage of vehicles is negatively impacting the Bay at Pier 70. While using the Pier 70 site, AutoReturn employees have had to work out of a temporary trailer and have had to use portable bathroom facilities. At 2650 Bayshore Boulevard, they would have a permanent structure to work out of, with indoor plumbing and lunchroom facilities. There would be ample parking for auction days that does not spill into surrounding neighborhoods, and auctions could be held inside in a building in a sound building structure, one that does not leak profusely when it rains, as is the case at Pier 70. Finally, although the Port, the SFMTA and AutoReturn have all been diligent regarding safeguarding the site from environmental impact, the Pier 70 site is literally on San Francisco Bay, which causes additional challenges with regard to adapting the property to suit vehicle storage. For these reasons, the site at 2650 Bayshore Boulevard is simply more suited to vehicle storage functionality.

      For years (since 2004), the SFMTA has been looking for alternatives to replace the 13 acres at Pier 70 due to the Port’s long-term plans to redevelop that property and the unsuitable condition of the property for employees and the public as well as storage of towed vehicles. The criteria for SFMTA property search included the following:
      · Approximately 13 acres (necessary for towing operations, current Pier 70 location is 13 acres);
      · Either in San Francisco or adjacent to the City in order to avoid additional transportation costs for towing as well as public access;
      · On or near public transit for public access;
      · Appropriate zoning (M1 or M2);
      · Existing structure in good condition of about 200,000 square feet for towing and storage of towed cars;
      · Appropriate neighborhood that would accept towed car movement, storage and weekly auction visitors; and
      · Acceptable environmental condition to avoid significant remediation.

      There are few, if any similarly-sized sites in San Francisco or nearby. Other sites analyzed and considered have major issues. Examples include:

      · Properties with owners who do not want to sell at this time and could require an eminent domain process and be very costly to purchase the land and develop the property.
      · Properties that have hazardous materials that need significant, expensive remediation and mitigation measures.

      · Properties with owners who do not want to sell at this time and could require an eminent domain process and be very costly to purchase the land and develop the property.
      · Properties that have hazardous materials that need significant, expensive remediation and mitigation measures.

      · Properties that are zoned Ml but are too close to residential areas and do not encourage industrial use.
      · Properties that were re-zoned to uses other than industrial or light industrial use

      · Port properties, such as Piers 94-96 along Cargo Way south of Islais Creek, which have State Trust (allowed uses are commerce, navigation, fisheries, and open space) and the SFMTA is not a long-term allowed uses

      Is the tow operation 24/7? How many tow trucks are currently deployed daily from Pier 70? How often do they return and then leave again during a typical shift? How will this effect traffic on Bayshore Blvd? The tow yard has weekly public vehicle auctions. How many bidders routinely show up for these events? Will there be on-site parking? Will the vehicle sales tax go to Daly City? How many employees work on site (not driving tow trucks)? Will vehicles be stored outdoors (it appears that hundreds are currently stored outdoors at Pier 70.)?

      SFMTA’s response: AutoReturn is the SFMTA’s current tow operator. Towed vehicles are stored for the first 24 hours at a site on 7 th St. across from the Hall of Justice in San Francisco. After 24 hours, approximately 50 vehicles a day are expected to be towed to 2650 Bayshore for storage. The customer service pick-up for autos is typically Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., although customer pick-up may occur 24 hours a day as needed. The average customer pick up is 25 vehicles a day. The proposed auction use will occur on Wednesday mornings only between 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. It is anticipated that 300 people may attend and approximately 100 cars are sold each Wednesday. Customers pick up the cars at an alternate time. The other SFMTA uses may, for example, include Enforcement, Training, and storage of SFMTA transit vehicles. If Enforcement were to move there, the proposed hours of operation are 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with a daily rotation of approximately 9 shifts. If Training were to move there, SFMTA would operate in offices and training rooms on a routine basis. New operator, maintenance and refresher training classes will be conducted within the office training rooms proposed for approximately 300-350 employees throughout the day on rotating shifts. The previous USPS use also operated 24 hours a day 7 days a week with approximately 320 employees utilizing the site on a shift rotation throughout the day .

      The owners of the purchased vehicles are required to the California through the Department of Motor Vehicles to register the vehicles. There is no sales tax paid to either the City of San Francisco or the City of Daly City.

      Because the address for the proposed Lease for 2650 Bayshore is in Daly City, the Daly City Planning Department handled the CEQA environmental review for the proposed Lease, and the SFMTA’s proposed uses are all allowed under Daly City’s Planning Code. Attached is the approval from the Daly City Council of the environmental documents, which are also attached. The San Francisco Planning Department reviewed the City of Daly City Planning Department documents.

      Below are excerpts from the CEQA environmental documents re: the Parking, Circulation and Traffic analysis prepared for the City of Daly City:

      This relocation will move jobs out of San Francisco. How does this fit into the Mayor’s efforts to keep/bring jobs to San Francisco?

      SFTMA response: The jobs that are being relocated by AutoReturn and the SFMTA are adjacent to San Francisco and accessible to the residents of San Francisco and the Bay Area by riding transit – the Muni’s T-Line, 9 San Bruno and 8AX, plus Caltrain’s Bayshore Station all serve 2650 Bayshore Blvd.

      Will there be expanded employment opportunities for residents of Visitacion Valley?

      SFMTA response: The AutoReturn employment opportunities are listed at: www.AutoReturn.com . The SFMTA’s and City of San Francisco’s employment opportunities are listed at: http://www.jobaps.com/sf/sup/images/default.asp?deptnumber=mta

      How much in sales/business taxes will San Francisco lose (to Daly City’s gain)?

      SFMTA response: Please see above. The sales tax for used vehicles is paid to the State of California through the Department of Motor Vehicles. There is no sales tax paid to either the City of San Francisco or the City of Daly City.

      Who will regulate / respond to site specific complaints? For example, if tow back up alarms are heard at midnight, do residents call the MTA or Daly City police?

      SFMTA response: Phone numbers to call re: site specific issues: AutoReturn (24/7): Hot Line Number 415-865-8200. For the City of San Francisco (24/7): 311.

      Andrea Bruss
      Office of Supervisor Malia Cohen
      City Hall, Room 244
      (415) 554-7672
      Andrea.Bruss@...

      ----- Forwarded by Malia Cohen/BOS/SFGOV on 10/16/2012 11:43 AM -----

      From: RMorine@...
      To: malia.cohen@...,
      Date: 10/15/2012 12:35 AM
      Subject: BOS Agenda Item 10 - Real Property Lease - 2650 Bayshore concerns

      Supervisor Cohen
      Item 10. 120904 - Real Property Lease - 2650 Bayshore Boulevard - Towed Car Operations and Other Transit Related Uses is schedule be heard at the Regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors on October 16, 2012. This lease would allow the MTA to move a needed, but arguably undesirable land use to a site that boarders Visitacion Valley. Few, if any questions related to the impacts of this relocation were discussed when it was heard in the Budget and Finance Committee. The MTA stated their need to secure this particular location, but they did not provide adequate background information as to how they planned to integrate this intensive land use into an established neighborhood. Had MTA selected a site within San Francisco, I am certain that they would have provided the affected community some level of targeted outreach and responded to community feedback. I understand that the terms of the lease is the item under question. However, please query the MTA to your satisfaction regarding their commitment to ensure that one community does not endure years of undesirable land usage simple to facilitate their “Master Plan”. Below are a few questions that my community would like to have addressed by the MTA:
[...]
      Thank you for your consideration
      Russel Morine
      Little Hollywood/Visitacion Valley resident
      64 Gillette Ave

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: