Vis Valley's Favorite Building: For Sale

  • Russel
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008

       The website does not list a price...

      Address:

      445 Visitacion Avenue, San Francisco

      Total Sq. Ft.:

      4,169

      Comments:

      Mixed use building with three commercial units, Restaurant, garage and residential units. Lot size approx. 7,193 sq ft.

      http://www.polettirealty.com/sales_listings.html

    • Judith Sandoval

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
          I saw the sale sign yesterday. Wasn't it for sale about a year or so
          ago? I don't know anything about the building's history, so if one
          of our local historians can fill me in, I would appreciate it.

          From the time that I was a child, to the time my husband and I
          recently moved back to Visitacion Valley, that Alice in Wonderland
          building has been the object of an incredible array of fastasies -
          mysterious owners and occupants (who lives there?) to "what do you
          say we buy that building and . . . turn it into something
          like . . ." Since it's attached to Schlage Lock, I would assume it
          might have been a service center for the employees. But, the rest of
          it is an enigma. It definitely has "bone structure," though the cost
          to upgrade, retrofit and renovate it would amount to a small
          fortune. I would be curious to find out what sort of eccentric
          (other then my husband and I) would invest in that building.

          Thanks for passing this along.

          Maryanne

          --- In Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com, "Russel" <rmorine@...> wrote:

          > The website does not list a price...
          >

          > Address:
          >
          > 445 Visitacion Avenue, San Francisco
          >
          > Total Sq. Ft.:
          >
          > 4,169
          >
          > Comments:
          >
          > Mixed use building with three commercial units, Restaurant, garage
          and
          > residential units. Lot size approx. 7,193 sq ft.
          >

          > http://www.polettirealty.com/sales_listings.html
          > <http://www.polettirealty.com/sales_listings.html>

        • tara hui
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
            Wondering if anyone else is interested, as me, in forming a Vis Valley collective, buy the building and turn it into a local food coop.

            Tara

            "the demands of America's ethanol program alone account for over half the world's unmet need for cereals." - the Economist

            To: Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com
            From: mvrazzo@...
            Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 21:24:26 +0000
            Subject: [Valley_Eye] Re: Vis Valley's Favorite Building: For Sale

            I saw the sale sign yesterday. Wasn't it for sale about a year or so
            ago? I don't know anything about the building's history, so if one
            of our local historians can fill me in, I would appreciate it.

            From the time that I was a child, to the time my husband and I
            recently moved back to Visitacion Valley, that Alice in Wonderland
            building has been the object of an incredible array of fastasies -
            mysterious owners and occupants (who lives there?) to "what do you
            say we buy that building and . . . turn it into something
            like . . ." Since it's attached to Schlage Lock, I would assume it
            might have been a service center for the employees. But, the rest of
            it is an enigma. It definitely has "bone structure," though the cost
            to upgrade, retrofit and renovate it would amount to a small
            fortune. I would be curious to find out what sort of eccentric
            (other then my husband and I) would invest in that building.

            Thanks for passing this along.

            Maryanne

            --- In Valley_Eye@yahoogro ups.com, "Russel" <rmorine@... > wrote:

            > The website does not list a price...
            >

            > Address:
            >
            > 445 Visitacion Avenue, San Francisco
            >
            > Total Sq. Ft.:
            >
            > 4,169
            >
            > Comments:
            >
            > Mixed use building with three commercial units, Restaurant, garage
            and
            > residential units. Lot size approx. 7,193 sq ft.
            >

            > http://www.polettir ealty.com/ sales_listings. html
            > <http://www.polettir ealty.com/ sales_listings. html>

            Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Get it now!
          • rmorine@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
              the building is the only property on that side of Bayshore NOT owned by Schlage/Ingersoll Rand or UPC. As far as I know, it never had an official Schlage Lock connection. The owners were trying to lease it out last year but I guess they had no luck. The restaurant portion was completely remodeled so it should be almost in move in condition.

              Russel

            • Betty Parshall
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
                Some of the history of this building can be found on page 38 in Images of America-
                San Francisco's Visitacion Valley" available for $20 at Joe Leland's coffee shop on Leland Ave. (next to B of A parking lot).  The book can also be found in Walgreen's and other book stores (and sometimes Costco),  and our profit goes to the VV Library fund.
                Personally, I occasionally enjoyed a drink or two in the bar during the 70's.

                rmorine@... wrote:
                the building is the only property on that side of Bayshore NOT owned by Schlage/Ingersoll Rand or UPC. As far as I know, it never had an official Schlage Lock connection. The owners were trying to lease it out last year but I guess they had no luck. The restaurant portion was completely remodeled so it should be almost in move in condition.

                Russel

              • Edith Epps
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
                  Just an added comment...noticed in this morning's Chron obits that Raymond "Babe" Baron passed away...he co-owned the bar "Babe's Tower Inn" there for years and many locals remember the days at the bar.  It was a "hang out" at lunch and after work for many Schlage Lock employees....
                  The obit has a nice write up and although Visitacion is spelled incorrectly it's mentioned!
                  I had a phone conversation with his x-wife who spoke fondly of him and his accomplishments at the bar...they lived upstairs in the suite.
                  Please watch for a open house and let us know it would be great to get in there and look around...I understand that a couple of the units are vacant.  Otherwise I'll call the number and set up an appt. and let you know for those interested.....Happy 2008!   Edie

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
                      Ironically, I had a dream two weeks or so ago about my buying the
                      Five Mile House and renovating it - small grocery and a "coffee
                      shop." It was very nice and all the firemen would go there for
                      lunch. :o) Seriously, if I had the investment capital I would
                      strongly consider participating. Even though at some point in the
                      future I will own two homes in San Francisco, I probably wouldn't
                      risk a second mortgage. But, the adventurous visionary in me makes
                      the idea of a local food coop, or something similar sound quite
                      appealing. My only "concern," if you will, is how to structure a
                      food coop into a building that has mixed use features - like a
                      restaurant, gas station and living areas? I wouldn't want to spend a
                      lot of money converting something that already has a reasonable
                      degree of functionality already in place. That's just too hard and
                      involves too much money.
                      Whenever open house happens, please let me know. I'd love to tag
                      along.

                      Maryanne

                      --- In Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com, tara hui <tarahui@...> wrote:

                      > Wondering if anyone else is interested, as me, in forming a Vis
                      Valley collective, buy the building and turn it into a local food
                      coop.

                      > Tara
                      >
                      > "the demands of America's ethanol
                      > program alone account for over half the world's unmet need for
                      cereals." - the Economist

                      > To: Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: mvrazzo@...
                      > Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 21:24:26 +0000
                      > Subject: [Valley_Eye] Re: Vis Valley's Favorite Building: For Sale

                      > I saw the sale sign yesterday. Wasn't it for sale
                      about a year or so

                      > ago? I don't know anything about the building's history, so if one
                      >
                      > of our local historians can fill me in, I would appreciate it.
                      >

                      > From the time that I was a child, to the time my husband and I
                      >
                      > recently moved back to Visitacion Valley, that Alice in Wonderland
                      >
                      > building has been the object of an incredible array of fastasies -
                      >
                      > mysterious owners and occupants (who lives there?) to "what do you
                      >
                      > say we buy that building and . . . turn it into something
                      >
                      > like . . ." Since it's attached to Schlage Lock, I would assume it
                      >
                      > might have been a service center for the employees. But, the rest
                      of

                      > it is an enigma. It definitely has "bone structure," though the
                      cost

                      > to upgrade, retrofit and renovate it would amount to a small
                      >
                      > fortune. I would be curious to find out what sort of eccentric
                      >
                      > (other then my husband and I) would invest in that building.
                      >

                      > Thanks for passing this along.
                      >

                      > Maryanne
                      >

                      > --- In Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com, "Russel" <rmorine@> wrote:
                      >

                      > > The website does not list a price...
                      >

                      > > Address:
                      >

                      > > 445 Visitacion Avenue, San Francisco
                      >

                      > > Total Sq. Ft.:
                      >

                      > > 4,169
                      >

                      > > Comments:
                      >

                      > > Mixed use building with three commercial units, Restaurant,
                      garage

                      > and
                      >
                      > > residential units. Lot size approx. 7,193 sq ft.
                      >

                      > > http://www.polettirealty.com/sales_listings.html
                      >
                      > > <http://www.polettirealty.com/sales_listings.html>

                      > Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live.
                      > http://www.windowslive.com?
                      ocid=TXT_TAGHM_Wave2_powerofwindows_122007

                    • anne seeman
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
                        Great idea, Tara. What about also making this a project that could have a youth job-training program? I'll try to interest anyone I think of.
                        Anne

                        To: Valley_Eye@yahoogro ups.com
                        From: mvrazzo@sonic. net
                        Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 21:24:26 +0000

                        I saw the sale sign yesterday. Wasn't it for sale about a year or so
                        ago? I don't know anything about the building's history, so if one
                        of our local historians can fill me in, I would appreciate it.

                        From the time that I was a child, to the time my husband and I

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
                          I like Tara's idea a lot, and wish I could participate. How about checking out Mission Pie, and considering a youth job-training aspect to the plan? Maybe there is grant money or low-interest loans for such a project.
                          Anne

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
                            That will be wonderful! Training and employing people from the neighborhood - a truly local place.

                            Happy New Year everyone! This is the year to turn our Valley around, I can feel it =)

                            To: Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com

                            From: mvrazzo@sonic. net
                            Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 21:24:26 +0000

                            I saw the sale sign yesterday. Wasn't it for sale about a year or so
                            ago? I don't know anything about the building's history, so if one
                            of our local historians can fill me in, I would appreciate it.

                            From the time that I was a child, to the time my husband and I

                              From: mvrazzo@sonic. net
                              Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 21:24:26 +0000

                              I saw the sale sign yesterday. Wasn't it for sale about a year or so
                              ago? I don't know anything about the building's history, so if one
                              of our local historians can fill me in, I would appreciate it.

                              From the time that I was a child, to the time my husband and I
                              recently moved back to Visitacion Valley, that Alice in Wonderland
                              building has been the object of an incredible array of fastasies -
                              mysterious owners and occupants (who lives there?) to "what do you
                              say we buy that building and . . . turn it into something
                              like . . ." Since it's attached to Schlage Lock, I would assume it
                              might have been a service center for the employees. But, the rest of
                              it is an enigma. It definitely has "bone structure," though the cost
                              to upgrade, retrofit and renovate it would amount to a small
                              fortune. I would be curious to find out what sort of eccentric
                              (other then my husband and I) would invest in that building.

                              Thanks for passing this along.

                              Maryanne

                              --- In Valley_Eye@yahoogro ups.com, "Russel" <rmorine@... > wrote:

                              > The website does not list a price...
                              >

                              > Address:
                              >
                              > 445 Visitacion Avenue, San Francisco
                              >
                              > Total Sq. Ft.:
                              >
                              > 4,169
                              >
                              > Comments:
                              >
                              > Mixed use building with three commercial units, Restaurant, garage
                              and
                              > residential units. Lot size approx. 7,193 sq ft.
                              >

                              > http://www.polettir ealty.com/ sales_listings. html
                              > <http://www.polettir ealty.com/ sales_listings. html>

                              Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Get it now!

                              Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008
                                Finally finished with the Greywater workshop in the mist of a rainstorm! Almost farcical to be trying to recycle a bit of water when the sky is dumping by the bucketful on top of us :D

                                Now I'm free again to dream big dreams...

                                I wish I have the means to Just Do It! (I might have to pay for saying this)

                                In any case, even if someone has the means to just buy it off, it won't be communal. I'm hoping there would be a small group of people passionate enough for a neighborhood cooperative, and dedicated enough to put resources together - energy, time and money.

                                I'm happy to put in all the energy, time and money I have... we just need 10 more of me. If some or any of you out there feel the urge to do something but are not sure that you can pull it off - things are done much easier with collective effort. A Greywater System was built, in less than half a day with much partying and fanfare, amidst a rainstorm by 20 people, mostly strangers!

                                If there's serious interest, we can get together and brainstorm - I do have a plan and we can talk about it.

                                May this be a bountiful new year for our little neighborhood :)

                                To: Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com
                                From: judithwsandoval@...
                                Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 21:13:18 -0800

                                Tara, to repeat others, great idea.  Do It!  Judith

                                On Jan 2, 2008, at 9:03 PM, tara hui wrote:

                                That will be wonderful! Training and employing people from the neighborhood - a truly local place.

                                Happy New Year everyone! This is the year to turn our Valley around, I can feel it =)

                                Tara

                                "the demands of America's ethanol program alone account for over half the world's unmet need for cereals." - the Economist

                                Make distant family not so distant with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™. Start now!
                              • Judith Sandoval