Happy Birthday to Visitacion Valley!

  • Cynthia Cox
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2012
      Couldn't let July 2nd go by without noting that today marks the 235th anniversary of the naming of our neighborhood by a group of Spanish priests and soldiers in 1777.  They celebrated the Catholic Feast Day of the Visitacion with a mass, using Altar Rock (still there, now in a neighbor's back yard!).  And that's how Visitacion Valley got its name (with the Spanish spelling) more than two centuries ago.  Definitely worthy of a celebration -- perhaps by picking up a copy of the colorful and informative "Visionary" magazine for Summer 2012, fresh off the presses and available at Leland businesses.

      Cynthia, part of the Visitacion Valley History Project