Re: [Valley_Eye] I'm New Here & Just Wanted To Say Hello!

  • Betty Parshall
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2007
      Welcome, Jim.
      Along with all the current development and other issues and activities in the Valley, there is a history group, very small, VV History Project, that put together the Arcadia American Neighborhood Series book about Visitacion Valley.  Its available at Walgreens and other bookstores and at Joe Leland coffee shop, 28 Leland Ave.  These books are generally sold only in the relevant area, so if you need help finding it, you can email me at bparshal@....

      The potential development of the Schlage property has prompted a call for personal histories from former employees of Schlage and other residents who can share stories of the importance and impact the company had on the Valley.  You and your dad may want to contribute to this project too, and VVHP would welcome other stories as well as loan of any pictures and memorabilia we could copy for our VV history collection.

      You can check out the neighborhood paper, the Grapevine, online at www.visvalleygrapevine.com  and read more about the Valley doings.

      jimi_mack2005 <jimi_mack2005@...> wrote:
      Greetings all!

      I joined your little group a few weeks back and have been checking the
      posts out every few days. It's nice to see some active people in the
      community.

      A bit about me, and why I'm interested in the VV group: I was born in
      1958 and was raised in two houses in VV. My first house was on the 200
      block of Raymond, then when I was about 3 years old, our family moved
      to the 500 block of Sawyer until I moved out in 1979. My father still
      lives in the house on Sawyer Street and since I now live in Millbrae,
      I visit him a couple of times a week.

      While growing up I was always interested in the history and geography
      of the area. While in Junior High (I was in the first graduating class
      at VV Jr. High in 1973), my friends and I would climb the San Bruno
      Mountains and just sit and look over the valley, rain or shine
      wondering what it was like 50 or 100 years ago.

      I'm sure that I'll always have an attachment to VV, and don't know if
      I can be of any help in his group, but would be willing to give a hand
      if anyone needs anything.

      I guess I'll just sit back and watch, and ring in if I have any
      comments. Thanks for accepting me, and once again, Greetings!

      Jim