Fw: Update on the Gambier Plaza and Peru St. Playground (January 28th 2011)

  • marlene tran
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2011

      --- On Fri, 1/28/11, TRILCE & CHARLES <helpmlpark@...> wrote:

      From: TRILCE & CHARLES <helpmlpark@...>
      Subject: Update on the Gambier Plaza and Peru St. Playground (January 28th 2011)
      To: "Charles Farrugia" <ifitefire4u@...>
      Date: Friday, January 28, 2011, 12:28 PM

      Hello everyone,

      I know it seems, by the looks of things, not much has been going on in McLaren Park but trust me it is exactly the opposite in reality.  I have been very busy meeting with different park personal on all subjects from issues with our BBQ's, painting and repair, installation of our new plaza at the Gambier St entrance, funding requirements for our latest grant, irrigation, tree pruning, safety, and of course work days.

      There will be some huge changes coming to the plaza on Gambier very soon.  As you can see the yard workers have worked hard to bring down the level of the dirt (clay) so that there is room for the decomposed granite and planting mix which is coming very soon.  My wife and I have recently visited the Sylvestri company to ask of a donation piece for the center of the plaza and it looks like they may be interested in helping us out.  Due to maintenance issue the fountain will more likely be filled with dirt and planted with annuals.  In this cost strapped economy having a working fountain is almost an impossibility unless there was some outside agency that would be willing to maintain it indefinitely.

      The latest grant we were so lucky to win did not comes with some strings attached.  We as a group must fund raise $6000 by June in order to qualify for the quarter million dollar gift.  That seems like an impossibility right?  Especially in today's world, but don't give up.  I am in negotiations with my firefighters union who seem very willing to work with us in reaching our goal.  Nothing is on paper at this point but I don't see why this won't be realized very soon.  More to come on that.

      Recently, Phil Ginsburg was on public radio and taking calls from private citizens concerning various issues within our parks.  I was in cue but the show ran out of time so I wrote him a letter concerning our park and he has shown great interest in trying to remedy as best he could several of my complaints and has referred my letter to the Area Service Manager to look into.

      For those that are concerning about the playground on Peru street it looks like once we have the Construction Designs completed we can go to the commission for approval.  These designs are very expensive and will take the Department of Public Works some time to complete.  We are hoping that the commission will have something to approve by June and then put it out to bid.  Feasibly the construction could start in September and usually takes about 5-6 months to complete.  A opening day ceremony looks to me to be in spring 2012.  Not exactly what I had hoped for but the best we can do under the circumstances.

      Hope that helps answer any questions you may have.  Please fell free to write back if you have any others.  Have a great weekend and hope to see you at the next pancake breakfast and workday projects both coming very very soon!!!

      Chuck

      --
      Help McLaren Park