Re: [Valley_Eye] Re: New developer at Executive Park

  • anne seeman
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hi everyone,
      Thanks Edie for mentioning the Greenway as worthy of documentation. I am glad people are willing to walk around and photograph the changes as they take place here. It will all be a good addition to our neighborhood archive, useful to future generations.
      To weigh in on the latest developer, I know that flats in the lower Haight go for more than the proposed rent here. I'm all for having a mix of incomes on all these sites. What we have to avoid is a suburban style development with no walkable retail. If the developers are telling people that they can shop at Costco or down the peninsula, then what recourse do we have? Though it looks like plenty of retail is coming to the Candlestick Point developments...At Schlage, it has been to our advantage to invite Redevelopment in. We the community are able to set guidelines which includes more affordable housing than required. Without Redevelopment, and the threat of eminent domain, Ingersoll-Rand had no incentive to do anything with the land.

      Anne

    • Maryanne Razzo
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 1, 2007
        Anne,

        When I spoke of the spectre of redevelopment, I wasn't necessarily
        specifically referring to Schlage-Lock, which is a done deal -
        perfectly acceptable. But, I can see how developers will look at our
        neighborhoods - and the respective age and conditions of the
        properties. Lately, I've seen people coming into my neighborhood who
        don't appear as though they would live here (i.e., driving luxury
        cars - wearing very nice clothes). They look as though they are
        canvassing the neighborhood like a real estate developer would. One
        day about two or three months ago, someone flying a small craft was
        circling high above the neighborhood and was up there for about an
        hour if not longer. It was very disturbing to know that some type of
        surveillance might have been conducted. I couldn't imagine doing
        that sort of flying for recreation, not even just to practice turns -
        above homes. Maybe I'm paranoid, but maybe not.

        When you say plenty of retail, do you know specifically what
        comprises the plenty? That is an exciting prospect, and even knowing
        that something is down the pike gives me a gratifying feeling, if
        it's true.

        Maryanne
        --- In Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com, anne seeman <sguanne@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        > Thanks Edie for mentioning the Greenway as worthy of documentation.
        I am glad people are willing to walk around and photograph the
        changes as they take place here. It will all be a good addition to
        our neighborhood archive, useful to future generations.
        > To weigh in on the latest developer, I know that flats in the lower
        Haight go for more than the proposed rent here. I'm all for having a
        mix of incomes on all these sites. What we have to avoid is a
        suburban style development with no walkable retail. If the developers
        are telling people that they can shop at Costco or down the
        peninsula, then what recourse do we have? Though it looks like plenty
        of retail is coming to the Candlestick Point developments...At
        Schlage, it has been to our advantage to invite Redevelopment in. We
        the community are able to set guidelines which includes more
        affordable housing than required. Without Redevelopment, and the
        threat of eminent domain, Ingersoll-Rand had no incentive to do
        anything with the land.

        > Anne
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail.
        See how.

      • anne seeman
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
          Maryanne,

          I hope we'll be getting neighborhood-serving retail in the new developments, but we will have to be vigilant, because the area relatively close to Vis Valley, this side of the current stadium (someone correct me if I'm wrong - I don't have a map) is slated for big box retail. This is the same kind of stuff proposed for the northern end of the Baylands, so I'm wondering how we can avoid creating another Colma.
          Always the challenge is: how do we raise the quality of life for all residents here without the standard gentrification that forces people out? Are there other models across the country that we can find? We have brought up the notion of union (teachers?) sponsored housing, such as the co-op apartments that my relatives in New York lived in. If that won't work at Schlage, maybe somewhere else in all those acres....

          Anne

        • Katherine Williams
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
            Also as an FYI, Mr Chao, principal at VVES, mentioned to me that some
            parents from Exec Park came to tour the school in the last couple of
            weeks. He is anticipating the changing demographics. Will be
            interesting to see (1) if there are a good number of families
            w/children there, since I know from previous research this is not the
            target population of marketers and (2) if those families use/support
            VV community including Leland and the schools/other resources here.

            presents an opportunity for VV groups to reach out to the HOA and
            establish ties.

            --Katherine

            --- In Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com, Judith Sandoval
            <judithwsandoval@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Maryanne. I knew the word only w/ poloi with it, but now I'm
            > enlightened! Judith
            > On Nov 29, 2007, at 10:34 PM, Maryanne Razzo wrote:
            >
            > > Thank you Russel for your comments. I'll have to check in tomorrow
            > > since I just got home from a meeting and am very tired.
            > >
            > > For reference: hoi poloi is the ancient Greek word for the working
            > > class.
            > >
            > > Maryanne
            > >
            > > --- In Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com, rmorine@ wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I missed most of the meeting with Hanover so Linda has the details
            > > but here’
            > > > s my 2cents..
            > > > Signature Properties is marketing their townhomes in the 800,000
            > > range. IF
            > > > they sell for that then the new owner’s monthly payment would be
            > > about 3,500.
            > > > It seems that Hanover has based their rental price on the cost to
            > > own a new
            > > > brand new townhome. IF you could afford that kind of payment, then
            > > > Hanover/renting might not be such a bad choice…you have amazing
            > > amenities, greater
            > > > security, a better view and I’m sure water, garbage, cable are
            > > part of the rent.
            > > > If you bought one of the town homes you’ll have to pay HOA fees,
            > > property
            > > > taxes and all your utilities. So even in the 3,500 per month
            > > range, its cheaper
            > > > then your neighbors at Signature. Now, if Signature can’t sell
            > > their homes for
            > > > over 800,000 then things will shift to favor ownership..Regarding
            > > the lack
            > > > of amenities in Vis Valley. That’s a constant struggle. I
            > > seriously doubt if
            > > > any major retailer would open at Candlestick Cove even after full
            > > build out
            > > > because, as I see everyday, the vast majority of Vis Valley
            > > residents are not
            > > > in Vis Valley during 9am to 6pm. Any retail at the Cove would
            > > experience the
            > > > ghost town effect until residents come home after work. So its not
            > > just about
            > > > density but the balance of workers and residents throughout the
            > > day. I say we
            > > > need more workers in Vis Valley not more houses to make retail
            > > work. This
            > > > site isn’t Redevelopment, its all private so no need to worry
            > > about that …but
            > > > you can still worry about Schlage and Redevelopment. If Hanover
            > > can’t rent
            > > > the units they can always turn them into market rate condos.
            > > >
            > > > If the interest level remains high, Linda and I can see if the
            > > Hanover
            > > > people can come out and give the community a
> [...]
          • Linda McKay
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
              Good thought - a rep from the HOA is on the Executive Park Advisory Committee so we've established initial links and have a way to get information to the owners (since it is a gated community we can't leaflet). But you are right - families are not the target market. We've been told how many owners actually have kids & I forget the number - but it is very small.

              Maybe someone can put together a Leland Ave shopping list - identify what's available by address with personal comments (kind of a rating?)  - so we can give it to new residents or anyone who's interested.

              Linda