Re: [Valley_Eye] Re: New developer at Executive Park

  • Judith Sandoval
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 30, 2007
      Hi Edie:

      Let me know ahead of time and I will come.  My heart is still in VV for many reasons and this redevelopment, for the reasons stated, hurts me.  Have a great Holiday season and contact me when you need me, affectionately, Judith
      On Nov 30, 2007, at 9:53 AM, Edith Epps wrote:

      Judith...I was reading your chat with Maryanne and when you mentioned you were always available for pics....My eyes really opened...You' ll be hearing from me...always trying to document Visitacion Valley.
      Anyway, my two cents on this issue  is take a walk around Bayview Hill... You have the new buildings at Candlestick Points that are selling well (up to this point) and than further up on Jamestown you have the first phase (400) of a three phase project that will extend to Harney...The studios are going for $400,000+...
      The whole base of the hill is being filled in with housing with no intention of adding services ie; grocery; coffee; cleaners (at this point)....   If you go into the sales office at Candlestick Cove they will tell you that shopping is at Costco downtown or go onto the peninsula... I guess the new buyers are use to traveling or picking up groceries before returning home...and the "old time" residents keep wishing for a grocery store...I use Leland produce; meat; poultry; fish; ice cream...cleaners; nails; hair places; coffee;banking; post office,  etc....yes we need to work on more businesses coming to Leland....but unless we use what is there now let's don't ask for more...(Always finding a way to plug Downtown Leland!) Give it a chance....Edie

      Judith Sandoval <judithwsandoval@ comcast.net> wrote:

      On Nov 29, 2007, at 7:32 PM, Judith Sandoval wrote:

      Maryanne.  Pardon my ignorance but who is "hoi?"

      Also, the first redevelopment in SF was in the Fillmore and I remember when I first saw this gigantic wild ball from my right eye, swoosh upon a building and exposing a 1/2 of a purple kitchen before my eyes.  As I stared at it is disbelief in my total ignorance.  Meanwhile, the ball went to my left and swooshed back and knocked the  purple kitchen out and a yellow bathroom appeared the floor below and on and on.  When the Redev tried to come into the MIssion, we all worked together and kept them out.  But they just kept a treckin.  So I share your horror.  Good luck.  Remember, I have a camera, will travel and come free, if you want any photos taken.  Good luck Judith
      On Nov 29, 2007, at 6:15 PM, Maryanne Razzo wrote:

      Thank you, Linda and Judith for chiming in. I grew up in Visitacion
      Valley and have vivid memories of the tragedy that became Geneva
      Towers. There are still lovely Eichler homes adjacent to the area
      where army housing used to be (which is now part of project
      housing).

      I can't help but become bewildered at the overdrive momentum
      of "luxury" high rises in this area. We don't even have a Safeway
      and someone who pays minimum $3500 for rent is going to get their
      organic vegetables at the super on Geneva? It is to laugh.

      Anyway, I'm eager to hear what Russel can tell us and will suspend
      all judgement for the time. I just hope that redevelopment isn't in
      the cards for us hoi, who San Francisco government has always had
      very little regard for. Hate to be cynical, but redev is happening
      all across the country.

      Maryanne

      --- In Valley_Eye@yahoogro ups.com, "Linda McKay" <lmckay@...> wrote:

      > Remember - $3500 was the average rental! Rent on the 1,850 sq foot
      2 bedroom will be even higher.

      > I find it hard to believe too - and I think the other Executive
      Park developers were equally surprised at the price (pleasantly
      surprised, I'm guessing) but Hanover is a very experienced
      developer, so I know they've had to do the research. Interestingly,
      the house next door to me was on the market for $3,500/month so maybe
      that's not an unreasonable rent these days (for somebody).

      > We all fear the legacy of Geneva Towers but according to the people
      we've spoken to, there is no chance that a mid-rise building at
      Executive Park will become government housing. I guess worst case
      scenario is that Hanover runs run short of money and stints on the
      construction, but then they couldn't get the big rent either.

      > Linda

      Yahoo
      > site.
      > >
      > > Hanover breaks ground in December or January and will finish
      > construction within 24 months.
      > >
      > > Let Russel or me know if you have any questions for Hanover.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > > Linda McKay

    • anne seeman
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 1, 2007
        Hi everyone,
        Thanks Edie for mentioning the Greenway as worthy of documentation. I am glad people are willing to walk around and photograph the changes as they take place here. It will all be a good addition to our neighborhood archive, useful to future generations.
        To weigh in on the latest developer, I know that flats in the lower Haight go for more than the proposed rent here. I'm all for having a mix of incomes on all these sites. What we have to avoid is a suburban style development with no walkable retail. If the developers are telling people that they can shop at Costco or down the peninsula, then what recourse do we have? Though it looks like plenty of retail is coming to the Candlestick Point developments...At Schlage, it has been to our advantage to invite Redevelopment in. We the community are able to set guidelines which includes more affordable housing than required. Without Redevelopment, and the threat of eminent domain, Ingersoll-Rand had no incentive to do anything with the land.

        Anne

      • Maryanne Razzo
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 1, 2007
          Anne,

          When I spoke of the spectre of redevelopment, I wasn't necessarily
          specifically referring to Schlage-Lock, which is a done deal -
          perfectly acceptable. But, I can see how developers will look at our
          neighborhoods - and the respective age and conditions of the
          properties. Lately, I've seen people coming into my neighborhood who
          don't appear as though they would live here (i.e., driving luxury
          cars - wearing very nice clothes). They look as though they are
          canvassing the neighborhood like a real estate developer would. One
          day about two or three months ago, someone flying a small craft was
          circling high above the neighborhood and was up there for about an
          hour if not longer. It was very disturbing to know that some type of
          surveillance might have been conducted. I couldn't imagine doing
          that sort of flying for recreation, not even just to practice turns -
          above homes. Maybe I'm paranoid, but maybe not.

          When you say plenty of retail, do you know specifically what
          comprises the plenty? That is an exciting prospect, and even knowing
          that something is down the pike gives me a gratifying feeling, if
          it's true.

          Maryanne
          --- In Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com, anne seeman <sguanne@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone,
          > Thanks Edie for mentioning the Greenway as worthy of documentation.
          I am glad people are willing to walk around and photograph the
          changes as they take place here. It will all be a good addition to
          our neighborhood archive, useful to future generations.
          > To weigh in on the latest developer, I know that flats in the lower
          Haight go for more than the proposed rent here. I'm all for having a
          mix of incomes on all these sites. What we have to avoid is a
          suburban style development with no walkable retail. If the developers
          are telling people that they can shop at Costco or down the
          peninsula, then what recourse do we have? Though it looks like plenty
          of retail is coming to the Candlestick Point developments...At
          Schlage, it has been to our advantage to invite Redevelopment in. We
          the community are able to set guidelines which includes more
          affordable housing than required. Without Redevelopment, and the
          threat of eminent domain, Ingersoll-Rand had no incentive to do
          anything with the land.

          > Anne
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail.
          See how.

        • anne seeman
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
            Maryanne,

            I hope we'll be getting neighborhood-serving retail in the new developments, but we will have to be vigilant, because the area relatively close to Vis Valley, this side of the current stadium (someone correct me if I'm wrong - I don't have a map) is slated for big box retail. This is the same kind of stuff proposed for the northern end of the Baylands, so I'm wondering how we can avoid creating another Colma.
            Always the challenge is: how do we raise the quality of life for all residents here without the standard gentrification that forces people out? Are there other models across the country that we can find? We have brought up the notion of union (teachers?) sponsored housing, such as the co-op apartments that my relatives in New York lived in. If that won't work at Schlage, maybe somewhere else in all those acres....

            Anne

          • Katherine Williams
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
              Also as an FYI, Mr Chao, principal at VVES, mentioned to me that some
              parents from Exec Park came to tour the school in the last couple of
              weeks. He is anticipating the changing demographics. Will be
              interesting to see (1) if there are a good number of families
              w/children there, since I know from previous research this is not the
              target population of marketers and (2) if those families use/support
              VV community including Leland and the schools/other resources here.

              presents an opportunity for VV groups to reach out to the HOA and
              establish ties.

              --Katherine

              --- In Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com, Judith Sandoval
              <judithwsandoval@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Maryanne. I knew the word only w/ poloi with it, but now I'm
              > enlightened! Judith
              > On Nov 29, 2007, at 10:34 PM, Maryanne Razzo wrote:
              >
              > > Thank you Russel for your comments. I'll have to check in tomorrow
              > > since I just got home from a meeting and am very tired.
              > >
              > > For reference: hoi poloi is the ancient Greek word for the working
              > > class.
              > >
              > > Maryanne
              > >
              > > --- In Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com, rmorine@ wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I missed most of the meeting with Hanover so Linda has the details
              > > but here’
              > > > s my 2cents..
              > > > Signature Properties is marketing their townhomes in the 800,000
              > > range. IF
              > > > they sell for that then the new owner’s monthly payment would be
              > > about 3,500.
              > > > It seems that Hanover has based their rental price on the cost to
              > > own a new
              > > > brand new townhome. IF you could afford that kind of payment, then
              > > > Hanover/renting might not be such a bad choice…you have amazing
              > > amenities, greater
              > > > security, a better view and I’m sure water, garbage, cable are
              > > part of the rent.
              > > > If you bought one of the town homes you’ll have to pay HOA fees,
              > > property
              > > > taxes and all your utilities. So even in the 3,500 per month
              > > range, its cheaper
              > > > then your neighbors at Signature. Now, if Signature can’t sell
              > > their homes for
              > > > over 800,000 then things will shift to favor ownership..Regarding
              > > the lack
              > > > of amenities in Vis Valley. That’s a constant struggle. I
              > > seriously doubt if
              > > > any major retailer would open at Candlestick Cove even after full
              > > build out
              > > > because, as I see everyday, the vast majority of Vis Valley
              > > residents are not
              > > > in Vis Valley during 9am to 6pm. Any retail at the Cove would
              > > experience the
              > > > ghost town effect until residents come home after work. So its not
              > > just about
              > > > density but the balance of workers and residents throughout the
              > > day. I say we
              > > > need more workers in Vis Valley not more houses to make retail
              > > work. This
              > > > site isn’t Redevelopment, its all private so no need to worry
              > > about that …but
              > > > you can still worry about Schlage and Redevelopment. If Hanover
              > > can’t rent
              > > > the units they can always turn them into market rate condos.
              > > >
              > > > If the interest level remains high, Linda and I can see if the
              > > Hanover
              > > > people can come out and give the community a
> [...]
            • Linda McKay
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                Good thought - a rep from the HOA is on the Executive Park Advisory Committee so we've established initial links and have a way to get information to the owners (since it is a gated community we can't leaflet). But you are right - families are not the target market. We've been told how many owners actually have kids & I forget the number - but it is very small.

                Maybe someone can put together a Leland Ave shopping list - identify what's available by address with personal comments (kind of a rating?)  - so we can give it to new residents or anyone who's interested.

                Linda