- Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos) is an annual Meso-American holiday dedicated to honoring ancestors and loved ones now gone and a celebration of theMessage 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2010View Source
Day of the Dead(Dia de los Muertos) is an annual Meso-American holiday dedicated to honoring ancestors and loved ones now gone and a celebration of the continuity of life and the community.Conceptually, Dia de los Muertos is a hybrid, owing its origins to both prehispanic Aztec philosophy & religion and medieval European ritual practice.On All Soul's Eve, Day of the Dead, November 2nd, there will be a Ritual Procession which has become the largest in the continental U.S.Join Jean Feilmoser with JWALKS, a gringa native of the Mission District, on a walkting tour of the area and participation in the procession through part of San Francisco's oldest neighborhood...and some treats along the way. You too will have an opportunity to honor your friends and family who have moved on to another world.Details:
Tuesday, November 2, 2010(Please remember to VOTE before coming. Bring your voters stub as proof of voting and receive a $5.00 discount on the tour )
Thanks :-) Jean, your tour guideOfficial poster for the event.
- Meet @ Cafe La Boheme, 3318 24th St. @ 5pm (across the street from the 24th St. BART station)
- This is a WALKING tour (after dark) so please wear comfortable shoes & dress for the weather. Tour will take place rain or shine.
- Tour includes admission to the Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts to view the juried altar installations, procession materials...treats....maybe some surprises!
- As the tour goes through the dinner hour, we will gather at a local taqueria for you to B.Y.O.T. (buy your own taco)
- Please come by public transportaion or early enough to find street parking -- never easy. A parking garage is located on 21st St. btwn Valencia & Bartlett, or on 24th & Utah (east side of Potrero Ave. near General Hospital.)
- COST: $30. (or $25. w/ voters stub !) Cash only. (exact change appreciated)
- RSVP to Jean @ 415/806-0049 or gypsyj@... RSVP is essential - maximum 25 mortals.
- PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO OTHERS WHO YOU THINK MIGHT BE INTERESTED.