  • gypsyj@att.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2010
      September Program
      Visitacion Valley: San Francisco's First Named Neighborhood

      Tuesday, September 14, 2010
      7:30 PM

      Kanbar Hall
      Jewish Community Center of San Francisco
      3200 California Street at Presidio Avenue

      This southeastern-most area of San Francisco has a little-known, but quite intriguing history. Join Cynthia Cox, Edie Epps, Russel Morine and Betty Parshall of the Visitacion Valley History Project on a photographic journey through the "Valley of the Windmills" past and present: as a Mexican land grant deeded to an Anglo; a settlement of Gold Rush-era Europeans, and today, home to the city's largest Asian-Pacific population outside of Chinatown.

      Please join us for a reception at 7 PM.

      Program is free to current SFMHS members. Admission is $5 for non-members, which may be applied toward membership in the SFMHS.

      Parking: Parking is available on site for $5. Entrance to the parking garage is on California Street, west of the main entrance.

      Via Muni: The 1 - California, 2 - Clement, 3 - Jackson, 38 - Geary and 43 - Masonic serve the area. Please contact Muni Information for more details 311 in San Francisco or (415) 701-2311 outside of San Francisco, or visit
      www.sfmuni.com.

    • Edie Epps
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 10, 2010

        Thanks Jean for posting this and hope to see our Neighbors there to support us!    Also in conjunction with this presentation Tuesday 9/14 will be a historical neighborhood walk on Saturday, Sept. 18th 11 am to 1pm led by Cynthia Cox.  Meet on the overpass of Caltrain’s Bayshore Station on Tunnel Avenue for a guided excursion through the neighborhood’s sites and stories – art and Art Deco, a “castle” and a log cabin, greenways, churches and community centers, new housing developments and homes from earlier eras, an array of languages and cultures, and links to an early film star (or two?).  This walk is a complement to our September program on Visitacion Valley and will cover some of the landmarks mentioned in the program.

        Edie

        Visitacion Valley: San Francisco's First Named Neighborhood

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 10, 2010
          Oh, too bad this got scheduled for a night when the Vis Valley CAC meets! I'd love to come and will be sorry to miss.
          Chris
        • tara hui
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 10, 2010
            Sounds wonderful! Way to go getting our neighborhood out there!

            --
            "Peace comes from being able to contribute the best that we have, and all that we are, toward creating a world that supports everyone. But it is also securing the space for others to contribute the best that they have and all that they are." - Hafsat Abiola

            To: Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com
            From: aheins@...
            Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:18:04 -0700
            Subject: RE: [Valley_Eye] (unknown)

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 10, 2010

              I tried to have them reschedule last month’s “bye” meeting to this month but no go…anyway…e