Re: [Valley_Eye] Visitacion Valley Middle School basks in principal-of-year award

  • Betty Parshall
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
      Russel, Len says its hard to get permission for reprints (dealing with the Examiner publisher), but maybe you have a contact that could help.  Otherwise we can rewrite it for November Grapevine, I should think.

      Edith Epps <aheins@...> wrote:
      Russel...could you see if we could use this article in the Grapevine?  do we need to get permission from the Cronicle?  Thanks,  Edie

      Visitacion Valley Middle School basks in principal-of- year award
      Jill Tucker, Chronicle Staff Writer
      Saturday, September 29, 2007

      San Francisco principal Jim Dierke knew something was up when he saw
      more cars than usual parked in front of his school Friday morning.
      Out of view, city dignitaries and his students waited inside
      Visitacion Valley Middle School to surprise him with the news: He was
      the National Middle School Principal of the Year.
      The award, given by the National Association of Secondary School
      Principals, includes a $5,000 award for the school.
      "I am feeling elated," he said after the announcement and celebration
      in the school's auditorium. "I think that it really means something -
      not only for me, but for my staff and for my kids - to have this
      recognition. "
      At first glance, it might not appear the principal of the year would
      come out of Visitacion Valley.
      The school faces declining enrollment, test scores that don't meet
      federal standards, teacher turnover, truancy and a high neighborhood
      crime rate.
      Yet that's where real leadership comes in, the organization noted.
      Those selecting Dierke for the honor noted how a gunman entered the
      school, threatening teachers and students in 2004.
      "Although authorities captured the person, parents could have
      demanded changes at the school," a statement from the principals'
      association said. "Instead, the parents demonstrated their faith in
      Dierke's leadership by not withdrawing any children from the school."
      Executive Director Gerald Tirozzi of the association noted that
      Dierke has given the community around the school a sense of hope.
      "He has put his heart and soul into making sure his students feel
      safe and secure in their school building and has developed a school
      climate that nurtures academic excellence," Tirozzi said.
      San Francisco Superintendent Carlos Garcia told Dierke's students
      Friday that their principal was chosen from among the thousands of
      middle school principals across the country.
      "He's like our own American Idol," Garcia said.
      In recognition of the honor, Mayor Gavin Newsom declared Friday Jim
      Dierke Day in San Francisco.
      E-mail Jill Tucker at jtucker@sfchronicle .com.
      http://sfgate. com/cgi-bin/ article.cgi? f=/c/a/2007/ 09/29/BA6MSGFG3. DTL

    • molly hassler
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
        He should be interviewed by the Grapevine.  It's a pretty big deal & how often does something like this come along?
        The Grapevine should cover it w/a local's eye.

        To: aheins@...; Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com
        CC: bparshal@...