F.A.C.E. newsletter:

  • Jean Feilmoser
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2009
      FACE Weekend Update  9/30/09

      Hi, FACE members we have been having some exciting developments in our southern parks lately.   This past weekend, McLaren Park was a buzz of activity.

      Last Saturday, there was a big community wide clean up day at Louis Sutter Playground and Mc Nab Lake.  Lots of sand was sifted, a lot of weeds in the lake came out and most of all, a lot of people had a great time working together and sharing their love of the park with each other.  There was also a big barbecue with plenty of great food—much of it donated by local businesses.  For an update on upcoming workdays and park meetings about McLaren Park please contact: johnmclarenpark@... and helpmclarenpark@...

       On Sunday, the 27th, a group gathered to hike around the fabulous view spots in McLaren Park as part of the coming public art project called: Philosophers Way.  The plan is for a series of trails with way finders and benches to showcase vantage points and vistas throughout the park.  It will also include inspirational words, poems and  thoughts to encourage people to stop, take in the views and be contemplate. This project needs final approval by the SF Recreation and Parks Commission.  The hearing is coming up in Mid-October.  We could use your support send e-mails to: recpark.commission@...  or write to the Commission at: 501 Stanyan St. SF CA 94117.

      Coming up this weekend….

      1.      This Saturday—October 3rd. There will be a work day to prune, weed and beautify the area around the Purple Playground at Moscow and Geneva.  9am-Noon is the time.  Come by for an hour or all morning.  Tools and snacks will be provided.  Contact FACE at: 415-585-8005 for more information.

      2.      Sunday, October 4th…is the day of the big Pilarcitos Cyclocross (bicycle  race) in and around Crocker Amazon  and McLaren Park.  This is an exciting event to watch.  The action is fast and fun.  Hundreds of cyclists from all over the Bay Area will be competing.  The course will start in Crocker Amazon Playground, by the baseball fields near the Moscow St. parking lot and go up and over the hills into the grassy area of McLaren Park near Geneva Ave. There will be booths with cycling information and refreshments.  Races begin at 8:30am and go on throughout the day. Come by and check it out.

      3.      AND…Sunday, October 4th from 11:00 to 5:00 at the Persia Triangle (Mission / Ocean and Persia) is the date of the Excelsior Festival….the 7th Annual Street Fair and Festival.  This fun festival has showcased the Excelsior neighborhood and this year it will add some special activities. There will be a local talent show-EXCELSIOR’S GOT TALENT along with other musical groups and hands on art project. We need your help getting volunteers for the Festival. Anyone interested should contact Esmeralda at: esmeralda.eag@... or call: 415-585-0110 for more information.  Stop by the FACE booth-on Persia St. We will have a greeting card project, park stuff and lots of great photos of the community!

      4.      Another Saturday Event…..The Excelsior Branch Library, in association with the Friends of the Library and District 11 Supervisor John Avalos,  is hosting a special program on Saturday, October 3rd from 2:00pm to 4:00 p.m.  It’s the Senior Community Fair and its theme is “Fitness for Adults Who Are 50+: Physical, Mental and Financial. Come meet representatives of non-profit organizations and agencies that serve seniors, including the San Francisco Public Library, the Mission YMCA, the Department of Aging and Adult Services, the Elder Financial Protection Network, and many more.  Get information and advice on how to stay active, become engaged in the community, avoid financial scams, and invest wisely.  Obtain a benefits check up.  See a demonstration of fitness video games on a Wii console.  The first fifty visitors aged 50 and over will receive a free tote bag!  Free information and light refreshments provided.  This event honors Excelsior resident Dolorous Knight, age 95, avid reader and long-time library patron and supporter, on the occasion of the International Day of Older Persons.

      5.      Full Moon Quarry Walk:  The moon will be full this weekend, and we'll have our moon walk this Sunday, October 4 starting at 6:15 PM. As always, the walk will start at the Quarry Road Entrance Park by the Brisbane Post Office and Community Garden. The Brisbane Post Office is at 280 Old County Road, Brisbane. These quarry walks are fun, a companionable walk with friends and neighbors. Come join us. Children and dogs are most welcome.
      Round trip distance is about two miles on a nearly flat road. Dress in layers. It can be cold and/or windy. Heavy rain cancels, but a bit of fog or a few clouds won't stop us. Right now, they're saying it will be clear in Brisbane Sunday night.
      This is the harvest moon, the moon closest the fall equinox. Might be a good time to bring a camera. (from: Jo, San Bruno Mountain Watch Conservancy)

      More News Soon…..