Re: [Valley_Eye] Visitacion Valley Library Capital Campaign Kick-Off Meeting

  • Jean Feilmoser
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 16 9:40 PM
      Ok everyone....before I moved to Vis Valley last summer....been very happy here too,, btw, I lived in the Excelsior. The Excelsior Library was the first library in SF chosen to do the rebuild thru the Capital Campaign. Those of us, me too, who 'worked' on it had a lot of fun, came up w/ very creative ideas to raise money, in fact, evolved into the Excelsior Library Arts & Culture Salon because we were so used to getting together, we continued to do so by creating programs we all thought would be interesting.   The library has since continued the 'salon'.

      I'm trying to remember what we did....and one of the things that came to mind was using the 'resources' of WHO lived in the 'hood. Diane di Prima, a very well known & respected Beat generation poet, Excelsior resident, gathered her 'homies', also well known & respected poets of her ilk, and we had a poetry night w/ them @ the Julia Morgan designed church @ 32 Ocean. It was extremely well attended, and is only one of the 'events' we put together successfully.

      So THINK of what's special about Visitacion Valley, WHO lives here, etc. in thinking about what events you might be able to come up with.  Don't forget about or be afraid about approaching the big businesses based here....See's candy (have you ever had a tour there????), Paragon...the developers of the Schlage site, and how about having a 'first annual Visitacion Valley Open' golf tournament @ Glen Eagles, Norcal Waste---what about the Artists in Residence program there--a special art show benefiting VV w/ art from valley residents??   What about a neighborhood-wide garage sale? There's just a few ideas already.

      Marian is easy to work with and is honest in being realistic about what will & can work, and what will attract folks.

      Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. Don't know if I can make the meeting.....so please do mention the ones here.

      Jean
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 17 9:08 AM
        Thanks Jean for the great ideas and hope you can get involved in VV Campaign also!  Actually we have a Julia Morgan event at St. James Church scheduled for Sunday April 19th.  It is in conjuction with the celebration of St. James Anniversary here in VV for over 100 years and also that Julia Morgan was the architect of their church on Leland.  Watch for more details and get your tickets early....this will benefit the Library Campaign.
        I hope that we hear from more of our residents about ideas that can be used to raise funds for this cause.  Since we have had other library campaigns before us here in SF it's also a good resource for ideas....we would like to do a Garden Tour also...with the Greenways and residential gardens as Portola has been doing the last two years.
        Also we do have a headstart here in VV with our campaign as the History Project group has been selling the Arcadia Book San Francisco's Visitacion Valley  for over 5 years and all proceeds will go to the campaign...along with used book sales at the Leland Sidewalk Sale and Annual Leland Street Fair.
        This is a very exciting time for the whole VV Community and hopefully we will have some great events that can continue to raise funds for the VV Library Campaign.
        Hope we hear many more ideas like yours !

        Edie - VV History Project

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 30 10:08 AM
          in case you missed and are interested:

          http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/26/BATR16MTQF.DTL&type=newsbayarea

          Public participation is critical in prosecuting taggers...

          --
          Nick Wolff
          Program Manager
          www.vvboom.org
          415/585.2338 (desk)
          415/585.2848 (facsimile)

          "bringing jobs, environmentally sustainable infrastructure and economic
          development to Visitacion Valley."
        • Russel
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 31 11:00 AM
            Tonight is the nite that kicks off the Vis Valley Library Campaign.

            6:30 pm at the current Library, 45 Leland Ave.

            Russel

            --- In Valley_Eye@yahoogroups.com, Edith Epps <aheins@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Jean for the great ideas and hope you can get involved in VV Campaign also!  Actually we have a Julia Morgan event at St. James Church scheduled for Sunday April 19th.  It is in conjuction with the celebration of St. James Anniversary here in VV for over 100 years and also that Julia Morgan was the architect of their church on Leland.  Watch for more details and get your tickets early....this will benefit the Library Campaign.
            > I hope that we hear from more of our residents about ideas that can be used to raise funds for this cause.  Since we have had other library campaigns before us here in SF it's also a good resource for ideas....we would like to do a Garden Tour also...with the Greenways and residential gardens as Portola has been doing the last two years.
            > Also we do have a headstart here in VV with our campaign as the History Project group has been selling the Arcadia Book San Francisco's Visitacion Valley  for over 5 years and all proceeds will go to the campaign...along with used book sales at the Leland Sidewalk Sale and Annual Leland Street Fair.
            > This is a very exciting time for the whole VV Community and hopefully we will have some great events that can continue to raise funds for the VV Library Campaign.
            > Hope we hear many more ideas like yours !
            >
            > Edie - VV History Project

          • Nick Wolff
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 9, 2009
              If so, may I suggest Saturday, May 16th from 9am - 2pm?

              That is when Visitacion Valley Business Opportunities and Outreach to
              Merchants (VVBOOM) will be organizing a Sidewalk Sale on Leland Ave from
              Bayshore Blvd. to Rutland St. In conjunction with San Francisco Small
              Business Week, the Leland Avenue Sidewalk Sale is aiming to drive
              attendance and revenue to our small businesses (and hopefully your garage
              sale too!). This is a great opportunity to get people out exploring and
              shopping throughout Vis Valley on a beautiful day in mid-May.

              VVBOOM will be strategically promoting this event with outreach materials
              including a map of participating businesses and households.

              As long as you're located in the 94134 Visitacion Valley neighborhood, we'd
              love to include your garage sale.

              All you have to do is register - by emailing me: nwolff@... and
              letting me know your name, address, contact info.

              That's it.

              Feel free to contact me for further information as well.

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 16, 2009
                If so, may I suggest Saturday, May 16th from 9am - 2pm?

                That is when Visitacion Valley Business Opportunities and Outreach to
                Merchants (VVBOOM) will be organizing a Sidewalk Sale on Leland Ave from
                Bayshore Blvd. to Rutland St. In conjunction with San Francisco Small
                Business Week, the Leland Avenue Sidewalk Sale is aiming to drive
                attendance and revenue to our small businesses (and hopefully your garage
                sale too!). This is a great opportunity to get people out exploring and
                shopping throughout Vis Valley on a beautiful day in mid-May.

                --> We also have a limited amount of sidewalk space available on Leland
                Avenue for interested community based organizations <--

                VVBOOM will be strategically promoting this event with outreach materials
                including a map of participating businesses and households.

                As long as you're located in the 94134 Visitacion Valley neighborhood, we'd
                love to include your garage sale!

                All you have to do is register - by emailing me: nwolff@...

                or nwolff@vvboom (dot) org

                or call 415/585.2338

                and let me know your name, address, contact info.

                That's it.

                Feel free to contact me for further information as well.

                --
                Nick Wolff
                Program Manager
                www.vvboom.org
                415/585.2338 (desk)
                415/585.2558 (facsimile)

                "bringing jobs, environmentally sustainable infrastructure
                ahttp://vvcdc.org:2095/3rdparty/roundcube/?_task=mail&_id=56794351149e7ace2f1022&_action=composend
                economic development to Visitacion Valley."