Update on Sunday Hunting Bills

  • saungier@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2012
       The House Ag Natural Resources subcommittee tabled 3 of the bills (HB369, HB 921, & HB 989) during its meeting this evening. Delegate Ramadan attempted to modify his bill, HB1002, on the floor to just include Sunday Hunting of deer in District 8 (NoVA counties) for the purpose of controlling Lymes disease. This bill was defeated in subcommittee by a vote of 8 for, 0 against, 0 abstentions.

      There were about 300 people in the audience and only 6 stood when asked to stand to indicate if they were in favor of Sunday hunting. The remainder of the room stood to show it was opposed. A majority of the attendees were hunters who were opposed along with a number of horseowners, bikers, and other outdoor recreationists.

      Fourteen of us managed to speak in just a little over 15 minutes. We were pushing to get in all the key messages.
      We still have the Senate Bills on the table so stay tuned for more info.  Things can change quickly if another one of the hunting bills gets amended.

      Sally

      Sally Aungier