[Fwd: StandardFW 104 comments. FS revised LRMP]

  • Deborah Sensabaugh
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2003
      Hey Trail Riders!
      Remember-- July 3, Thursday, closes the comment period for the revised
      land and resource management plan for the Jefferson and other National
      Forests.
      I have enclosed my comments to the FS and to our rep-- Congressmen
      Goodlatte.
      If you haven't yet written to express your concern about the issues
      surrounding this revision (you can read the entire document online),
      you've got one more day to get your comments in.
      Please do not simply forward what I have already written-- the FS
      already has a copy of that. But you can use it to gather arguments,
      data, or just to make yourself more familiar with some of the issues
      involved. And you may think of more arguments. Visit Envirohorse.com
      for more trail-related data, too.
      Standard FW-104 reads" Allow horses and pack stock only on open and
      closed classified roads (unless otherwise posted) and designated
      trails. Horses and p ack stock are allowed immediately adjacent to the
      trails and roads for the purpose of camping, resting, picnicking,
      watering, etc. (within a corridor of 300 feet on either side of
      designated trails). See Riparian section for additional guidance."

      You might be surprised at how few trails this will leave us if
      approved. I went over some trails in the James River RD this week with
      the rec. sup. On my map, they are marked with little multi-use
      (hiker/biker/horse) signs. "Oh, those aren't designated horse trails,"
      she said. We've only got two of those (a total of about 6 miles all
      together for the district).
      So, don't go to sleep on this one. Let the officials know how you
      feel.
      Email comments to >jefferson@...<
      Happy Trails! I hope!
      Deb.