General Assembly - State Parks issues

  • saungier@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2003
      Dear Riding Friends,

      Attached is a document which summarizes the bills and events that are ongoing in the General Assembly regarding the naming of two of our new state parks.  It is the strong feeling of those of us who both work for and volunteer in the parks that they should bear names that reflect their location or special attributes, and that they should not be named after individuals.   It would be more appropriate to name facilities within the parks after individuals, for example, a visitors/interpretive center that tells the history of the region.

      We need letters to be sent to the Senate Ag committee this weekend that support the concept that DCR continue to be responsible for naming the parks based on their historical/geographical place and that only facilities within the parks should be named after individuals.  The Committee will be meeting at 9am on Monday so time is of the essence.

      Bill SB 1350, would name the new park in the 7 Bends area of the Shenandoah River after John O. Marsh.
      Del. Cox successfully amended HJ610  so instead of naming the new park in Powhatan the  E. Floyd Yates State Park that a facility within the park would be named after him.  This bill has only passed the House remains to be considered by the Senate where we will also need support for the bill as amended by Del. Cox.
      Please review the attached document and email your representatives and the members of the Ag committee this weekend.  You will find the email addresses for the committee in the attachment.  Additionally, a letter from Ann Lipp (Va Association of Parks) has provided her letter as an example.  Remember to reference the bill numbers in your letters.

      Sally Aungier
      Virginia Horse Council Trails Committee
      DCR Volunteer