Stimulus package and trails?

  • Sally Aungier
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2009
      National park backers call for creation of a service corps similar to the
      Depression-era CCC

      The Civilian Conservation Corps put millions to work and left a lasting
      imprint on Yosemite and other parks.

      By Julie Cart
      Reporting from Yosemite National Park - The economy was a shambles. Millions
      of Americans were out of work. Saying something drastic needed to be done,
      the newly elected president announced a massive economic stimulus package
      aimed at repairing the nation's sagging infrastructure and putting people
      back to work.

      The first "emergency agency" established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt
      was the Civilian Conservation Corps, which eventually put 3 million men to
      work in the national park system.

      By the end of the program in 1942, CCC workers had built scores of bridges,
      constructed flood-control projects, cut 97,000 miles of fire roads and
      planted 3 billion trees, prompting the nickname "Roosevelt's Tree Army."

      The rustic, rock-and-timber buildings and massive lodges constructed by
      highly skilled artisans are now famously part of the national parks' visual
      style, often referred to as "parkitecture." In parks such as Yosemite --
      where an unusual number of projects were undertaken -- the CCC's imprint
      remains.

      Now, some in Congress and elsewhere are reaching back to embrace Roosevelt's
      Depression-era strategy by calling for a similar parks restoration program
      to be included in President Obama's economic stimulus plan. The House
      version of the bill has $2.25 billion earmarked for projects in parks. The
      Senate version is still under debate and expected to be voted on Monday.

      The CCC was born with the Depression in full roar and one out of four
      American wage earners out of work. Tens of thousands of unemployed and
      hungry young men took to the road rather than be a burden to their families.

      The Labor Department recruited around the country, and working for the corps
      became a much-desired job. The program accelerated so quickly -- 300,000 men
      joined in three months -- that at the time it was the most rapid large-scale
      mobilization of men the country had ever witnessed.

      Each enrollee signed on for a one-year stint and was paid $30 a month --
      with a stipulation that $25 be sent home to support their families. In
      addition to young men, the corps hired what it called LEMs, or "local
      experienced men," to lead work in skilled trades.

      Former National Park Service Director Roger Kennedy, whose forthcoming book
      about the CCC and the parks is called "When Art Worked," said the program
      was intended to heal the spirit of the workers as well as the nation.

      "The CCC was a great deal more than a work program," Kennedy said. "It was
      an education and nutrition program. Most of the people who worked there got
      the first decent meals in their lives. You could see the people growing,
      literally, eating good food and working hard outside. You can see the
      transformation in the photographs from the time."

      At Yosemite, Jack Rettinhouse and his mother lied about his age -- he was 16
      -- and signed him up for the CCC in Fresno in 1937.

      In a sloppily typed letter in the Yosemite archives recalling his time at
      the park, Rettinhouse wrote: "I reminber I only weight in at 96 lbs when I
      went in and after two years I came back to Fresno and weight in at 145 lbs,
      so I gusse you can say the food wasn't bad. . . ."

      There were some 600 CCC camps in various national parks during the program's
      decade of existence. Yosemite had more than most, with 10 encampments
      scattered throughout the park, from the Valley's meadows to the high country
      and atop El Capitan.

      Yosemite's archive contains several colorful histories from corps enrollees
      who were stationed in the park. The letters of many, who had never been away
      from home, were filled with wonder at nature.

      Darrel E. Stover ended his with this passage: "Yes, I would do it all over
      again. It was a new life for a nineteen year old kid. I, like so many of the
      others, inlisted as a teenager and came out a man. And it happened in the
      most beautiful place in the world, YOSEMITE."

      Each camp housed about 225 workers, living in reinforced tents or wooden
      barracks. Although the park service directed the work projects, the Army
      operated the camps, with daily reveille, chow taken in a mess hall and
      military discipline.

      Not long after the program began, an educational component was added, both
      to train enrollees in job-related skills and to address the widespread
      problem of illiteracy. Some enrollees taught their compatriots to read and
      write.

      "That's when science and history and education went into the national park
      system, in a serious professional way," said Kennedy, the former park
      service director.

      He said that the still-new idea of national parks gained a foothold as a
      generation of men connected with wild places. "Environmentalism took its
      largest forward leap in this country when those people learned it with their
      hands and with their feet," Kennedy said.

      Filmmaker Ken Burns focuses on the CCC period in one episode of his upcoming
      six-part documentary to be shown on PBS, "The National Parks: America's Best
      Idea." Surviving CCC members are interviewed, telling how the program
      transformed their lives.

      "FDR called the CCC 'building human happiness,' " Burns said. "The dignity
      that you see now in the not-at-all-faded memories of people who as teenagers
      had their lives reformed, they have had their molecules rearranged by being
      in the CCC."

      Al F. Monteverde joined in 1933 after having no luck finding a job. Upon
      being sent to Yosemite, he wrote: "We ddint' know what we wre getting into
      but we all looked at it like the chance of a lifetime, something to do at
      last, thank God! Our minds and our bodies would have something to do."

      Work in the park proceeded year-round. Crews constructed the Wawona Tunnel
      in 1933, cut the May Lake Trail and replaced the climbing cables at Half
      Dome.

      "The park service was poised to help the president because we had master
      plans sitting on the shelves," said Yosemite's chief historian, David T.
      Humphrey.

      The park's 6,816 CCC enrollees built walls and buildings using rocks and
      trees in the park. Those projects remain today and help create Yosemite's
      rustic look.

      "The work was hard, but we loved it," wrote Leighroy Davis of Waterford,
      Calif. "Building rock walls on the down hillside of trail, swinging an
      eighteen pound rock hammer all day plus the pick and shovel was turning boys
      into men."

      Some of the improvement projects were put to immediate use during the
      Depression as families from around the region took to camping all summer in
      the park to save money.

      The National Parks Conservation Assn., a nonpartisan parks advocacy group,
      has testified before Congress that the nation's 391 parks have billions of
      dollars in "shovel-ready projects," some of them remnants of the system's
      more than $8.7-billion maintenance backlog.

      Citing the CCC as a model, the parks group is advocating the development of
      a National Park Service Corps and estimates that investing stimulus funds in
      parks would create about 50,000 jobs. The group has studied the economic
      impact of parks, particularly in rural areas, finding that every dollar
      spent at a park generates $4 in benefit.

      Construction projects could be contracted out and stimulate the local
      economy, said Jon Jarvis, park service director for the Pacific-West region.

      "We have literally thousands of those types of projects," he said. "The
      infrastructure of the national park system has come in fits and starts. It
      was massive during CCC; now a lot of those systems are inadequate and
      failing."

      Jarvis, whose father was in the CCC, said he would like any new park service
      projects to "set the standard to be as green as possible, to use that bully
      pulpit to educate the public about what they can do."

      "There's a legitimate opportunity to make us part of the stimulus package,"
      said Stephen Martin, superintendent of Grand Canyon National Park, where
      some 1,000 CCC enrollees labored. "We have a broad need for people to work
      in parks. We can offer employment programs for college students -- help
      educate them. We require work from engineers and accountants."

      julie.cart@...

      Copyright 2009 Los Angeles Times