Ho Hummmmm

  • Ken Hunter
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 23, 2003
      What a boring group! Can anyone give me a reason to keep it going?
      There must be someone out there that is doing some vacuum work!

      Ken Hunter
    • camime1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 23, 2003
        Dear Ken
        Sure would like to do some vacuum deposition or coating...I have four retorts that are 5 Ft. Diameter X 9 Ft. long and they are just sitting there waiting for me to do something!!! Lots of little pieces to put together. Have done some coating on a lab scale and have seen some really big systems over the years but now I want to get into production. So where do we go from here?
        Bill Lang..Stockton, CA
      • SVC
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 24, 2003
          Re: History of Vacuum Coating
          To those of you that are interested in the HISTORY OF VACUUM COATING you might visit the web site:

          http://svc.org/H/HISTORYA.PDF: Don Mattox

          ____________________________________
          Donald M. Mattox
          Technical Director
          Society of Vacuum Coaters
          71 Pinon Hill Place NE
          Albuquerque, NM  87122-1914

          Telephone 505/856-7188
          FAX 505/856-6716
          E-mail donmattox@...
          WebSite  http://www.svc.org
        • RON WHITE
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 25, 2003

            Some of the posts have been vary helpful to me, I shut down my shop because I decided to retire and get a real job so all of my stuff is buried in storage. I�ll be finishing the chamber as soon as I make a spot at my house to put it. Maybe even make a new one.  My new job comes with all sorts of machining and welding capacity.

            If the group doesn�t require a lot of work, keep it open, sometimes some neat stuff comes up,

            If you want out of the moderator job perhaps I can take it over for you rather than shut the group down. It would be nice if there were more members to share info with, right now my vacuum project is on hold but I�ll be getting back to it soon and I know I�ll need some help when I do.

            Part of my job is working with some vacuum industry manufactures and these guys can be a great resource as well.

            Regards,

            Ron White

            PS good luck in finding a new place, I AIN�T never moving �to much work

            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 25, 2003
              Those pumps must be huge to suck those tanks down to -6 or so!

              I have a 30" +/- inch dia tank 3 feet high and wonder if my Diff
              pumps can do the job... I'll get to try it if I ever find a house
              here in Amarillo.

              Ken

              --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, camime1@a... wrote:
              > Dear Ken
              > Sure would like to do some vacuum deposition or coating...I have
              four retorts
              > that are 5 Ft. Diameter X 9 Ft. long and they are just sitting
              there waiting
              > for me to do something!!! Lots of little pieces to put together.
              Have done
              > some coating on a lab scale and have seen some really big systems
              over the years
              > but now I want to get into production. So where do we go from here?
              > Bill Lang..Stockton, CA
            • Ken Hunter
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 25, 2003
                Looks like I stirred up the pot again...

                I read the History of Vacuum several months ago and recommend it
                highly! As far as giving up the moderator position...??? There's
                nothing to moderate, so far it's the easiest job I've ever had!

                Keep us informed on any goodies that you run across and don't forget
                that it's perfectly OK to post FOR SALE or WANTED items here.

                Ken Hunter

                --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, RON WHITE <ron_white@s...> wrote:

                > Some of the posts have been vary helpful to me, I shut down my
                shop because I decided to retire and get a real job so all of my
                stuff is buried in storage. I'll be finishing the chamber as soon as
                I make a spot at my house to put it. Maybe even make a new one. My
                new job comes with all sorts of machining and welding capacity.

                > If the group doesn't require a lot of work, keep it open,
                sometimes some neat stuff comes up,

                > If you want out of the moderator job perhaps I can take it over
                for you rather than shut the group down. It would be nice if there
                were more members to share info with, right now my vacuum project is
                on hold but I'll be getting back to it soon and I know I'll need
                some help when I do.

                > Part of my job is working with some vacuum industry manufactures
                and these guys can be a great resource as well.

                > Regards,
                >
                > Ron White
                >
                > PS good luck in finding a new place, I AIN"T never moving –to much
                work

                > Ken Hunter <atm_ken_hunter@y...> wrote:
                >

                > What a boring group! Can anyone give me a reason to keep it going?
                > There must be someone out there that is doing some vacuum work!
                >
                > Ken Hunter
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Service.
              • leftfieldstar@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 25, 2003
                  In a message dated 7/25/03 5:54:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  atm_ken_hunter@... writes:

                  > I read the History of Vacuum several months ago and recommend it
                  > highly!

                  I read it too. There wasn't much there! %^)

                  Dominic DiLeo
                • camime1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 25, 2003
                    I would certainly suggest using multiple vacuum pumps. A "roots" type centrfugal pump will get you started and then maybe a liquid ring vacuum pump then your pump should do the job. The new refridgeration pumps will get to 50 micron. I am gathering all these things at tis time also.
                    Bill Lang, Stockton,CA
                  • Charles Mitchard
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 25, 2003
                      Particularly if its for sale in Australia.
                      Charles

                      >Keep us informed on any goodies that you run across and don't forget
                      >that it's perfectly OK to post FOR SALE or WANTED items here.
                      >
                      >Ken Hunter

                    • RON WHITE
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 27, 2003

                        I just met a fascinating guy who owns a small vacuum research company which dates back to the 50s. If anyone needs parts for old equipment he has a junk room full of Diffusion pumps, gauges power supplies, E-beam setups etc. let me know what you need and I�ll pass it along.

                      • SVC
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 27, 2003
                          Re: [VacuumX] old parts anf stuff
                          Ron:

                          I would be interested to know if the guy has any historical publications or pictures that he would sell or lend to the Society of Vacuum Coaters for publication on the HISTORICAL portion of our web site.

                          Don Mattox

                          I just met a fascinating guy who owns a small vacuum research company which dates back to the 50s. If anyone needs parts for old equipment he has a junk room full of Diffusion pumps, gauges power supplies, E-beam setups etc. let me know what you need and Iíll pass it along.

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          ____________________________________
                          Donald M. Mattox
                          Technical Director
                          Society of Vacuum Coaters
                          71 Pinon Hill Place NE
                          Albuquerque, NM  87122-1914

                          Telephone 505/856-7188
                          FAX 505/856-6716
                          E-mail donmattox@...
                          WebSite  http://www.svc.org
                        • RON WHITE

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 16, 2003
                              --- RON WHITE <ron_white@...> wrote:

                              > I just met a fascinating guy who owns a small vacuum
                              > research company which dates back to the 50s. If
                              > anyone needs parts for old equipment he has a junk
                              > room full of Diffusion pumps, gauges power supplies,
                              > E-beam setups etc. let me know what you need and
                              > I�ll pass it along.
                              Mr Ron Withe:
                              I reed your letter and I need parts as diffusion
                              pumps, and gauges for vacuum.
                              I wwillappreciate your help.Thanks you.

                              =====
                              Alberto Gasparini
                              Perito Moreno 1032
                              Godoy Cruz (5501)
                              Mendoza
                              ARGENTINA
                              telefono 0261-422-0923

                              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                            • RON WHITE
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 17, 2003
                                What Size diffusion pump do you need / or how large is your chamber?
                                What kind of gauge do you need --thermocoulple / Ion etc

                                AGUSTIN GASPARINI <teveotron@...> wrote:

                                --- RON WHITE wrote:

                                > I just met a fascinating guy who owns a small vacuum
                                > research company which dates back to the 50s. If
                                > anyone needs parts for old equipment he has a junk
                                > room full of Diffusion pumps, gauges power supplies,
                                > E-beam setups etc. let me know what you need and
                                > I�ll pass it along.
                                Mr Ron Withe:
                                I reed your letter and I need parts as diffusion
                                pumps, and gauges for vacuum.
                                I wwillappreciate your help.Thanks you.

                                =====
                                Alberto Gasparini
                                Perito Moreno 1032
                                Godoy Cruz (5501)
                                Mendoza
                                ARGENTINA
                                telefono 0261-422-0923

                                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

                                http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/DLTolB/TM

                              • AGUSTIN GASPARINI
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 21, 2003
                                  --- RON WHITE <ron_white@...> wrote:
                                  > What Size diffusion pump do you need / or how large
                                  > is your chamber?
                                  > What kind of gauge do you need --thermocoulple / Ion
                                  > etc

                                  I will use the sistem for cathode ray tube recovery,
                                  and the diffusion pump I need is about 4 inches in
                                  diameter (200 liters/second?).
                                  Respect to chamber, the bigger crt is 36" wich coul be
                                  considered as a chamber of 6 cubic feet.

                                  Respect to gauge, I need to measure up to 10-7 mm Hg.
                                  I think Ion type would be addecuate.
                                  I will appreciate your answer.

                                  =====
                                  Alberto Gasparini
                                  Perito Moreno 1032
                                  Godoy Cruz (5501)
                                  Mendoza
                                  ARGENTINA
                                  telefono 0261-422-0923

                                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                                • James Lerch
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 22, 2003
                                    From: "RON WHITE" <ron_white@...>

                                    > > I just met a fascinating guy who owns a small vacuum
                                    > > research company which dates back to the 50s. If
                                    > > anyone needs parts for old equipment he has a junk
                                    > > room full of Diffusion pumps, gauges power supplies,
                                    > > E-beam setups etc. let me know what you need and
                                    > > I'll pass it along.

                                    Hi Ron,

                                    I'm looking for a couple sending units to fit my Boc Edwards 1105 controller.

                                    #1 I'd love a second Penning Cold Cathode Ion Gauge, so I don't have to move the
                                    one I have between chambers :)

                                    The one I have is a Model CP25K, Part Number D14537000 If a picture would
                                    help, there's one here:
                                    http://telescopelab.com/index.php?page=vacuum (bottom image)

                                    Also, If he had a coupler for the same that would be great (so I don't have to
                                    machine a second one <G>)

                                    #2 A Pirani or thermo-couple gauge head for the same controller would be great
                                    to.

                                    Here's a couple more pictures of the controller if it might help identify it.

                                    http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm/1105_Front.jpg (61KB)
                                    http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm/1105_Back.jpg (96KB)

                                    On the back image above, the Coax cable attached to Slot 3 goes to my existing
                                    Penning gauge head. Slot 1 / 2, to the left, are where the Pirani or
                                    Thermo-couple gauges would attach.

                                    Thanks a bunch!

                                    James
                                  • RON WHITE
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 26, 2003

                                      AGUSTIN GASPARINI <teveotron@...> wrote:

                                        should have the info in a few days

                                      let me know if you do not get my e-mail

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 26, 2003

                                        I�ll let you know what I can do in a few days.   All thermocouple gauges work the same only the pin locations are different so if you don�t need high accuracy and are willing to play around with the wires to make it work it may be easier � (cheaper) to just grab one off the shelf. If you don�t get a direct e-mail from me in a few days let me know

                                      • Bill Lemieux
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 26, 2003
                                          --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Hunter" <atm_ken_hunter@y...> wrote:
                                          > What a boring group! Can anyone give me a reason to keep it going?
                                          > There must be someone out there that is doing some vacuum work!

                                          (just found this msg, since I just joined)

                                          Well, given that it's a somewhat specialized field of interest, and stumbled across it
                                          quite by accident, you might need to allow some time for others to do the same, or
                                          find a way to promote it. Have you posted anything about this group to The Bell Jar?

                                          I mentioned your group to two others, and will probably also post it to a couple of
                                          other mailing lists I'm on.
                                        • Ken Hunter
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 27, 2003
                                            Hi Bill,

                                            Thanks for stopping by and joining... I searched and searched for a
                                            forum and found the Bell Jar too... seems they are on a "linear
                                            track". They started out simple and progressed to complex in short
                                            order then for all practical purposes disappeared from the net. So I
                                            strarted up this group. Participation goes in spurts and I have to
                                            stir the pot every so often to get some posts on here... Not really
                                            thinking of pulling the plug.

                                            ;o)

                                            Ken Hunter

                                            --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Lemieux" <gomez@o...> wrote:
                                            > --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Hunter" <atm_ken_hunter@y...>
                                            wrote:
                                            > > What a boring group! Can anyone give me a reason to keep it
                                            going?
                                            > > There must be someone out there that is doing some vacuum work!
                                            >
                                            > (just found this msg, since I just joined)
                                            >
                                            > Well, given that it's a somewhat specialized field of interest,
                                            and stumbled across it
                                            > quite by accident, you might need to allow some time for others to
                                            do the same, or
                                            > find a way to promote it. Have you posted anything about this
                                            group to The Bell Jar?

                                            > I mentioned your group to two others, and will probably also post
                                            it to a couple of
                                            > other mailing lists I'm on.
                                          • Gomez
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 27, 2003
                                              On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 04:17 PM, Ken Hunter wrote:

                                              > Hi Bill,
                                              >
                                              > Thanks for stopping by and joining... I searched and searched for a
                                              > forum and found the Bell Jar too... seems they are on a "linear
                                              > track". They started out simple and progressed to complex in short
                                              > order then for all practical purposes disappeared from the net.

                                              I thought The Bell Jar was sort of a internet tie-in to the paper
                                              publication. Is that still around?

                                              > So I started up this group. Participation goes in spurts and I have to
                                              > stir the pot every so often to get some posts on here...

                                              That's the way most special interest groups are, it seems. Once I get
                                              digital camera, I'll post some pics of my system, and later, some
                                              related
                                              projects.

                                              > Not really thinking of pulling the plug.

                                              Cool.

                                              - Bill "Gomez" Lemieux

                                              1 megafurlong per microfortnight-
                                              it's not just a good idea,
                                              it's the law.
                                            • Ken Hunter
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 28, 2003
                                                > I thought The Bell Jar was sort of a internet tie-in to the paper
                                                > publication. Is that still around?

                                                I haven't kept up on the Bell Jar as they were heading into deeper
                                                water than I could swim in and had progressed to projects that I
                                                wasn't interested in.

                                                I'm hoping that we can keep this forum mainly for the beginning
                                                vacuum enthusiast. It surely doesn't hurt to have some of our
                                                members that are well versed in the details and have years of
                                                experience in vacuum work though! They are a great resource but I
                                                find that the other web resources I'm finding are mainly for PRO's
                                                with deep pockets. For instance, on one forum I asked a question
                                                about glow discharge cleaning and got many replies from folks trying
                                                to sell me hardware with beginning prices well over $20,000.

                                                I probably won't have $20,000 tied up in my whole vacuum coating
                                                system (including the cost of the building). I am a beginner, a
                                                novice, it's a hobby and I'm just NOT interested in what happens on
                                                the sub-atomic level or in using calculus to figure the details for
                                                multi-layer coatings.

                                                I just want to make the glass shiny!

                                                Ken Hunter
                                              • Gomez
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 28, 2003
                                                  On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 10:06 AM, Ken Hunter wrote:

                                                  >> I thought The Bell Jar was sort of a internet tie-in to the paper
                                                  >> publication. Is that still around?
                                                  >
                                                  > I haven't kept up on the Bell Jar as they were heading into deeper
                                                  > water than I could swim in and had progressed to projects that I
                                                  > wasn't interested in.

                                                  I've been thinking of picking up one of the printed collections of
                                                  older
                                                  issues, but if they're into serious esoterica, I may reconsider.

                                                  > I'm hoping that we can keep this forum mainly for the beginning
                                                  > vacuum enthusiast.

                                                  Fine by me, because that's what I am!

                                                  > It surely doesn't hurt to have some of our
                                                  > members that are well versed in the details and have years of
                                                  > experience in vacuum work though! They are a great resource but I
                                                  > find that the other web resources I'm finding are mainly for PRO's
                                                  > with deep pockets. For instance, on one forum I asked a question
                                                  > about glow discharge cleaning and got many replies from folks trying
                                                  > to sell me hardware with beginning prices well over $20,000.

                                                  Hahaha. I went to an auction in Boulder for a company that had made
                                                  micro-electro-optic devices, and they had a number of plasma cleaning
                                                  devices that they had home-made from microwave ovens, home-brew acrylic
                                                  (!)
                                                  chambers and other such stuff.

                                                  > I probably won't have $20,000 tied up in my whole vacuum coating
                                                  > system (including the cost of the building). I am a beginner, a
                                                  > novice, it's a hobby and I'm just NOT interested in what happens on
                                                  > the sub-atomic level or in using calculus to figure the details for
                                                  > multi-layer coatings.

                                                  Ditto!

                                                  - Gomez

                                                  The Mad Scientists Club: equations solved, tigers castrated,
                                                  virgins enlightened, computers verified, taverns drained,
                                                  doomsdays averted, governments run, test rockets piloted,
                                                  liberties preserved, revolutions quelled (or started),
                                                  despots overthrown, dominant paradigms subverted.
                                                • RON WHITE
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Aug 29, 2003
                                                    Alberto
                                                    did you get my e-mail to you personally
                                                    It might be best to shop Ebay-- right now there is  two controllers for sale, both are thermocouple and ion combination these are not tested and may not work but chances are they are repairable, all of the gauge tubes (both types) work the same but the pin locations are different so you may need to swap the wires around a bit. the thermocouple guage tube only needs 3 wires to work even thou the socket has 8, and ion gauges you can see thru. I have 3 thermocouple controllers I bought for 5 to 10 dollars a piece hopeing one would work--they all do,, but all needed re-wiring because of there age,

                                                    ---I will use the system for cathode ray tube recovery,
                                                    and the diffusion pump I need is about 4 inches in
                                                    diameter (200 liters/second?).
                                                    Respect to chamber, the bigger CRT is 36" which could be