Closing the bell....

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2004
      Closing the bell....

      Just thought I'd get an idea of what the rest of you guys do. My bell jar weighs in at 62 kg ( that's 136 lbs), when it is in place, it rests it's full weight on a 12mm thick O-ring which projects @4 mm past the physical lip of the jar. What I want to know is do I still need to have so bolts to dog down the dome? Or is the mass of the dome sufficent?

      Thanks.

      Clear skies,
      Thomas Janstrom
      http://www.tjanstrom.com
      http://www.norsewines.com.au
      "Your nobody untill you've been ignored by your seventh cranio-facial nerve."

    • Ken Hunter
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2004
        If the "bell jar" is sitting vertical and has a rubber gasket, all
        you'd need to do is rub a bit of vacuum grease on the gasket, let the
        jar down and start pumping. Once you get most of the air out, it
        AIN'T going anywhere! (Even if you turn it upside down and hang it
        from the baseplate)

        Ken Hunter

        --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" <t_janstrom@y...> wrote:
        > Just thought I'd get an idea of what the rest of you guys do. My
        bell
        > jar weighs in at 62 kg ( that's 136 lbs), when it is in place, it
        rests
        > it's full weight on a 12mm thick O-ring which projects @4 mm past
        the
        > physical lip of the jar. What I want to know is do I still need to
        have
        > so bolts to dog down the dome? Or is the mass of the dome
        sufficent?

        > Thanks.
        >
        > Clear skies,
        > Thomas Janstrom
        > http://www.tjanstrom.com
        > http://www.norsewines.com.au
        > "Your nobody untill you've been ignored by your seventh cranio-
        facial
        > nerve."
      • David Grove
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2004
          Closing the bell....

          The o-ring will crush nicely once you start to rough (watch the gap).

          If you can get that bad boy to move once you’ve roughed the system it will probably have the rest of the system hanging from it. I’ve inadvertently lifted more than one vacuum system… no damage, just a little embarrassing (it’s good to include a healthy engineering factor when specing you lift).

          David Grove

          Chief Research Engineer

          www.luxel.com

          Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.
          --Josef Stalin

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2004
            Message
            David and Ken,

            Thanks for that, it's put my mind at ease, and made the set that little bit simpler!