RE: [VacuumX] New photos....

  • t_janstrom
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
      Message
      Yep, made the pattern last week, cast it up yesterday arvo', cleaned it up this morning.

      Clear skies,
      Thomas Janstrom
      http://www.tjanstrom.com
      http://www.norsewines.com.au
      "Your nobody untill you've been ignored by your seventh cranio-facial nerve."

        Thomas <t_janstrom@...> wrote:

        I have posted some photos of part one in my solution to the problem of how to use a directly driven RV pump, with a belt based drive train. As the pump had a spider coupling I decided that going with the belt drive option would not place any undue stress on the pump. So the next question was how to mount the pulley to a coupling in a ridgid way that would also enable me to mount the pump in a ridgid way.

        This is what I came up with�. With a lick of the right coloured paint and you'd never know it wasn't born like this!

        The pictures are in the Thomas' vacuum folly section.

        Clear skies,
        Thomas Janstrom
        http://www.tjanstrom.com
        http://www.norsewines.com.au
        "Your nobody untill you've been ignored by your seventh cranio-facial nerve."

        Do you Yahoo!?

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • toglman
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
          Ed,

          You don't want to metallize brass because it contains some very low
          melting point metals and tends to go off in layers. This makes it
          hard to control and replicate color. Better bet is to go with a
          bronze. There are still some issues, but they are not as acute.

          Kevin Anetsberger
          Midwest Tungsten

          --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, ed ward <edsworkshp@y...> wrote:
          > cool thomas I cast some my self now and them thats not vacuum
          related but I got my eye on a stainless steel bell jar 18 by 22
          inches I may put together a metalizer to replate brass fixtures for
          historic restorations projects I have going on need some info on
          brass plating any body will do.Ed

          > t_janstrom <t_janstrom@y...> wrote:Yep, made the pattern last
          week, cast it up yesterday arvo', cleaned it up this morning.

          > Clear skies,
          > Thomas Janstrom
          > http://www.tjanstrom.com
          > http://www.norsewines.com.au
          > "Your nobody untill you've been ignored by your seventh cranio-
          facial nerve."

          Service.

        • ed ward
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
            thanks kevin these items were brass plated in 1928 I wonder how they didit then the coating is only .0005 thick and very even? ed

            toglman <inky@...> wrote:
            Ed,

            You don't want to metallize brass because it contains some very low
            melting point metals and tends to go off in layers.  This makes it
            hard to control and replicate color.  Better bet is to go with a
            bronze.  There are still some issues, but they are not as acute.

            Kevin Anetsberger
            Midwest Tungsten

            --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, ed ward <edsworkshp@y...> wrote:
            > cool thomas I cast some my self now and them thats not vacuum
            related but I got my eye on a stainless steel bell jar 18 by 22
            inches I may put together a metalizer to replate brass fixtures for
            historic restorations projects I have going on need some info on
            brass plating any body will do.Ed

            > t_janstrom <t_janstrom@y...> wrote:Yep, made the pattern last
            week, cast it up yesterday arvo', cleaned it up this morning.

            > Clear skies,
            > Thomas Janstrom
            > http://www.tjanstrom.com
            > http://www.norsewines.com.au
            > "Your nobody untill you've been ignored by your seventh cranio-
            facial nerve."

            Service.

          • t_janstrom

              toglman <inky@...> wrote:
              Ed,

              You don't want to metallize brass because it contains some very low
              melting point metals and tends to go off in layers.  This makes it
              hard to control and replicate color.  Better bet is to go with a
              bronze.  There are still some issues, but they are not as acute.

              Kevin Anetsberger
              Midwest Tungsten

              --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, ed ward <edsworkshp@y...> wrote:
              > cool thomas I cast some my self now and them thats not vacuum
              related but I got my eye on a stainless steel bell jar 18 by 22
              inches I may put together a metalizer to replate brass fixtures for
              historic restorations projects I have going on need some info on
              brass plating any body will do.Ed

              > t_janstrom <t_janstrom@y...> wrote:Yep, made the pattern last
              week, cast it up yesterday arvo', cleaned it up this morning.

              > Clear skies,
              > Thomas Janstrom
              > http://www.tjanstrom.com
              > http://www.norsewines.com.au
              > "Your nobody untill you've been ignored by your seventh cranio-
              facial nerve."

              Service.

            • toglman
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2004
                Brass can be electroplated. You can buy kits even today over the
                internet to do it yourself. Metallizing did not become a commercial
                technology until the 1940s.

                Service.