haze on mirrors?

  • Guy Brandenburg
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2012
      Every so often, I am recently finding that a haze remains on mirrors that I have cleaned and aluminized, even ones that I have stripped. I am wondering if it might be from the composition of the paper towels I use for the final drying...

      Any thoughts?

      Guy Brandenburg, Washington, DC
      http://gfbrandenburg.wordpress.com/
      http://home.earthlink.net/~gfbranden/GFB_Home_Page.html
      ============================
    • Guy Brandenburg
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 4, 2012
        No, I don't. Never have, except for polishing & figuring.
        This phenomenon is recent.
        Not quite sure what you are trying to say.

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2012
          can you image it in any way ??????    maybe with a little puff of breath to make a bit of surface condensation so we can see it ???

          The only time i ever see fog on the mirror after stripping is from something that went wrong in the aluminizing process.  something like diff pump oil vapor getting into the chamber during the aluminizing process and sticking to the glass as a kind of soot.

          Drew in soggy FLA

          On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Thomas Janstrom <t_janstrom@...> wrote:

          If they have changed the treatment of the municipal water supply then a new chemical may be being deposited on the glass prior to coating leading to the haze. Option two (more remote) is that you have something contaminating you chamber, that can be very hard to track down though. Try using distilled water for the final rinse for a few mirrors (the cheap stuff for irons at the supermarket will work) and see if that helps?

          Thomas.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2012
            Not diffiusion oil. I'll try to take some images.

            http://home.earthlink.net/%7Egfbranden/GFB_Home_Page.html
            ============================

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 7, 2012
                  On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 10:26 -0700, Thomas Janstrom wrote:

                  > I know this going to sound silly, but you are using distilled water
                  > right? If so then that just leave the paper and possibly anything that
                  > might get transferred from your gloved hands to those towels.

                  I am very new to this vacuum thing, but I would guess that blowing water
                  off a mirror would be a good way to finish the cleaning process, but
                  apparently is not recommended. I've also been known to wash dirty
                  optical disks with a drop of soap and running water, then rinse, blow
                  the bulk of the water off by mouth, then spin the rest off in an old CD
                  drive. My thinking has been that touching the surface is not good, even
                  with soft paper, so I've looked at using streams of water and air to get
                  the job done. I also wonder if an ultrasonic cleaner might be useful?

                  Looks like these guys finish with alcohol and dry with paper towels of
                  some sort:
                  http://mthamilton.ucolick.org/public/tele_inst/2006Aluminizing/eg/

                  --
                  Kirk Wallace
                  http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 7, 2012
                    Judging by recommendations and videos I've seen, there are lots and lots of different ways of cleaning mirrors before coating!

                    Guy Brandenburg, Washington, DC
                    http://gfbrandenburg.wordpress.com/
                    http://home.earthlink.net/~gfbranden/GFB_Home_Page.html
                    ============================

                    On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 10:26 -0700, Thomas Janstrom wrote:

                    > I know this going to sound silly, but you are using distilled water
                    > right? If so then that just leave the paper and possibly anything that
                    > might get transferred from your gloved hands to those towels.

                    I am very new to this vacuum thing, but I would guess that blowing water
                    off a mirror would be a good way to finish the cleaning process, but
                    apparently is not recommended. I've also been known to wash dirty
                    optical disks with a drop of soap and running water, then rinse, blow
                    the bulk of the water off by mouth, then spin the rest off in an old CD
                    drive. My thinking has been that touching the surface is not good, even
                    with soft paper, so I've looked at using streams of water and air to get
                    the job done. I also wonder if an ultrasonic cleaner might be useful?

                    Looks like these guys finish with alcohol and dry with paper towels of
                    some sort:
                    http://mthamilton.ucolick.org/public/tele_inst/2006Aluminizing/eg/

                    --
                    Kirk Wallace
                    http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html
                    California, USA

                  • Paul Anderson
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 7, 2012
                      Well, I spent a little bit of time in a physics lab where they working with high vacuum. The technique they used most often was while wearing rubber gloves, rinse with acetone and wipe off with kimwipes.

                      Sent from my iPhone